Al Behrman, Associated Press
DAYTON, Ohio — Four McGlynn came off the bench to score 18 points and Vermont grabbed an early lead and hung on to beat Lamar 71-59 on Wednesday night in a first-round NCAA tournament game.
Matt Glass added 11 points, Sandro Carissimo 10 and Brian Voelkel had 12 rebounds to help the Catamounts earn a spot against top-seeded North Carolina on Friday in Greensboro, N.C.
The Catamounts (24-11) shot 50 percent from the field, blending an inside presence with McGlynn's touch from the perimeter.
Devon Lamb and Mike James each had 16 points for Lamar (23-12), which had won six in a row since first-year coach Pat Knight ripped his seniors after a loss in late February.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 41
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25