Al Behrman, Associated Press
DAYTON, Ohio — Four McGlynn came off the bench to score 18 points and Vermont grabbed an early lead and hung on to beat Lamar 71-59 on Wednesday night in a first-round NCAA tournament game.
Matt Glass added 11 points, Sandro Carissimo 10 and Brian Voelkel had 12 rebounds to help the Catamounts earn a spot against top-seeded North Carolina on Friday in Greensboro, N.C.
The Catamounts (24-11) shot 50 percent from the field, blending an inside presence with McGlynn's touch from the perimeter.
Devon Lamb and Mike James each had 16 points for Lamar (23-12), which had won six in a row since first-year coach Pat Knight ripped his seniors after a loss in late February.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 102
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 75
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29