"... The thing that I was most happy with 'Mo' about was there were a time there when there were four of five loose balls under their basket, and he came up with every single one of them. If they get those loose balls, obviously they get some momentum. And that's what he does; he gets you extra possessions, he came up with some big loose balls there and obviously the play at the end when he was able to come up with that steal. That's basically in a nutshell what Darin does. He played really, really well, scoring two points and he had a huge effect on the game, like he does a lot."
Senior guard Isiah Williams scored a game-high 26 points and also had seven rebounds for Utah Valley (20-13), which valiantly battled back from a 13-point deficit in the second half to tie the game twice in the final two minutes. Ben Aird added 13 points, Keith Thompson contributed 10 points and eight rebounds, and Geddes Robinson grabbed a game-high 11 boards for the Wolverines.
"We've got a group that fights and competes and has throughout the season, and the last game of their (seniors') career was no different," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker, a former Weber State player and assistant coach. "... We never gave up the competitive attitude.
"We're a decent little team. We've lost some ballgames, but we are a respectable little club for who we are. We have some competitive guys and I put six guys out there who will compete. They've done that all year.
"They've hung in there in every ballgame they've been in throughout the course of the entire season.
"... I think it shows and speaks well of the kids in our program and how hard we work and shows that we can be a competitive team and a competitive institution," Hunsaker said. "... They never cashed it in, and they made some plays. I was real pleased with the way the kids fought. We showed who we are on a postseason stage."
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48