FT. MYERS, Fla. — Senior right-hander Generra Nielson threw the second no-hitter of her Ute career and senior outfielder Hannah Clements went 3-for-4 at the plate, to lead the University of Utah softball team to 2-1 and 8-0 victories (5 innings) over Colgate Monday in a doubleheader at the Florida Gulf Coast University Softball Complex.
Utah (19-5) outscored Colgate 10-1 on the day and gained a 14-3 advantage in hits. The Utes went 4-2 during their spring break trip to Fort Myers, Fla..
Senior right-hander Generra Nielson picked up the win in both decisions. She did not give up an earned run and only yielded one hit in 9.0 innings, while fanning 18. Her no-hitter in the first game of the day was the second no-hitter of her Utah career, and the 25th in school history, that pushed her record to 14-4 this season and 35-16 during her career as a Ute.
Clements cracked two doubles and a single with a pair of RBI in the two games against the Raiders. The Poway, Calif., native now has four RBI this season and 46 over her career.
GRIFFIN NAMED POW: Southern Utah's Mikkel Griffin was named the Summit League's softball player of the week. In a three-game sweep over Oakland, Griffin recorded an .889 batting average (8-for-9), 1.333 slugging percentage and .909 on-base percentage with a home run, double, seven runs, two stolen bases, two walks and a RBI. The St. George native is now on an 11-game hitting streak.
IPFW's Courtney Cronin and North Dakota State's Krista Menke were named pitchers of the week.
3 UVU WRESTLERS HONORED: The Western Wrestling Conference announced its All-Conference teams for the 2011-12 season on Monday and three Utah Valley University wrestlers made the cut. Individuals earned spots on the respective teams with their finish at the 2012 NCAA West Regional WWC Championships on March 4 in Cedar Falls, Iowa. All seven league schools competed at the West Regional.
Utah Valley junior 149-pounder Josh Wilson, who will represent UVU at the NCAA Championships in St. Louis, this week, was named to the second team, while sophomore 141-pounder Avery Garner and redshirt freshman 165-pounder Ethan Smith were both third team selections.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22