LDS Living interview with General Relief Society President Julie B. Beck
Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
Our Take: We admire Sister Julie B. Beck and appreciate her dedicated service.
Sister Julie B. Beck serves in a calling that few others can fully comprehend. In a recent interview, she shared what its like to work with church leadership, what she wishes women in the church better understood, and her inspiring testimony of faith.
Sister Julie B. Beck was serving as first counselor in the Young Women general presidency when she was called as general president of the Relief Society in the spring of 2007, succeeding Sister Bonnie D. Parkin. Leading approximately six million women in 170 countries can seem like an insurmountable task, but Sister Beck finds strength to continue the Relief Societys legacy of love and service by studying its history, following in the footsteps of predecessors, and relying on the Atonement.
There have only been fifteen general Relief Society presidents in the Church, she says. Theyve all worked in different times, had different problems come to them, and worked with different prophets. Learning about them is learning their patterns, not the specifics of their callings.
Sister Beck has discovered that throughout history, Relief Society presidents have been concerned about a lot of the same issues, such as helping women through life transitions or strengthening families. Theyve all worried about families and supporting mothers because theyve all known how influential a woman is in the home, she says.
Read the complete article on LDSLiving.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 58
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11