LDS Living interview with General Relief Society President Julie B. Beck
Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
Our Take: We admire Sister Julie B. Beck and appreciate her dedicated service.
Sister Julie B. Beck serves in a calling that few others can fully comprehend. In a recent interview, she shared what its like to work with church leadership, what she wishes women in the church better understood, and her inspiring testimony of faith.
Sister Julie B. Beck was serving as first counselor in the Young Women general presidency when she was called as general president of the Relief Society in the spring of 2007, succeeding Sister Bonnie D. Parkin. Leading approximately six million women in 170 countries can seem like an insurmountable task, but Sister Beck finds strength to continue the Relief Societys legacy of love and service by studying its history, following in the footsteps of predecessors, and relying on the Atonement.
There have only been fifteen general Relief Society presidents in the Church, she says. Theyve all worked in different times, had different problems come to them, and worked with different prophets. Learning about them is learning their patterns, not the specifics of their callings.
Sister Beck has discovered that throughout history, Relief Society presidents have been concerned about a lot of the same issues, such as helping women through life transitions or strengthening families. Theyve all worried about families and supporting mothers because theyve all known how influential a woman is in the home, she says.
Read the complete article on LDSLiving.com.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Sadie Robertson lets her light shine during...
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle Choir,...
- Watch: LDS musician Lindsey Stirling speaks...
- LDS Church releases 'He Is The Gift'...
- Utah mother celebrates Thanksgiving with...
- The foolish pilgrim offers a valuable lesson
- New friends plan to work together to... 59
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- John Jones died in a cave, but his... 14
- Ask Angela: Should I end this... 10
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon 8
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an... 7
- Be thankful — there's a theology... 6