Gingrich planned several appearances in Birmingham, Ala., on Tuesday, including remarks to a local Chamber of Commerce and an election night event. A visit to the Birmingham Zoo was canceled because of the weather.
He seemed to draw new energy from an enthusiastic crowd at the Birmingham forum which gave him repeated standing ovations as he derided Obama for apologizing to Afghan President Hamid Karzai after American troops burned Islamic holy books, including some Qurans.
"He believes in apologizing to those who kill our young men and women. I will never apologize," Gingrich said to applause and cheers of "Newt! Newt! Newt!"
All three candidates were receiving support from well-heeled independent groups known as super PACs that were helping to finance television ads, automated phone calls and direct mail in the two states.
A fourth candidate, Texas Rep. Ron Paul, was not competing actively in the two contests.
Hawaii also was holding a primary Tuesday, but none of the GOP hopefuls campaigned there.
Romney has more delegates than his rivals combined, and is amassing them at a rate that puts him on track to clinch control of nomination before the convention opens in late August. The Associated Press tally shows him with 454 of the 1,144 delegates needed to win the nomination. Santorum has 217, Gingrich 107 and Paul 47.
Associated Press writers Charles Babington in St. Louis, David Espo in Washington and Philip Elliott in Montgomery, Ala., contributed to this report.
- Calliop, Jag and Tintin: Here's a look at 20...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- What you think of welfare program depends on...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- India government likely to review... 25
- What you think of welfare program... 25
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Health care signups increase to... 23
- Looking beyond the premium is a... 17
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 15
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 13