Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — With Thursday's deadline approaching, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor admitted the team is "actively looking" at trade scenarios.
"In the job that I have, one of the responsibilities is to improve the team," O'Connor said. "Now you can't improve the team without looking to make trades, and that's what we do. There's 29 other guys that have the same responsibilities to their teams, and they do the same thing. There's a lot of conversations."
O'Connor noted that not much trading has gone on yet around the logjammed NBA. But he likes the Jazz's "flexibility" approaching this deadline and in the offseason.
"We're active. We're listening," O'Connor said. "We're aggressive in trying to talk (about) things."
O'Connor has ownership's blessing to pursue deals, but he re-emphasized that the Jazz aren't looking for temporary benefits.
"It would have to be something long term," he said.
Trading during this condensed season can be tricky, he pointed out. Players would only have about 20 games with their new team without much practice time.
"I hope the one thing that we do do is we don't get names out or possible scenarios out or anything else out," O'Connor added, "because I think it hurts players."
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 72
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 22
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8