Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — With Thursday's deadline approaching, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor admitted the team is "actively looking" at trade scenarios.
"In the job that I have, one of the responsibilities is to improve the team," O'Connor said. "Now you can't improve the team without looking to make trades, and that's what we do. There's 29 other guys that have the same responsibilities to their teams, and they do the same thing. There's a lot of conversations."
O'Connor noted that not much trading has gone on yet around the logjammed NBA. But he likes the Jazz's "flexibility" approaching this deadline and in the offseason.
"We're active. We're listening," O'Connor said. "We're aggressive in trying to talk (about) things."
O'Connor has ownership's blessing to pursue deals, but he re-emphasized that the Jazz aren't looking for temporary benefits.
"It would have to be something long term," he said.
Trading during this condensed season can be tricky, he pointed out. Players would only have about 20 games with their new team without much practice time.
"I hope the one thing that we do do is we don't get names out or possible scenarios out or anything else out," O'Connor added, "because I think it hurts players."
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29