Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — With Thursday's deadline approaching, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor admitted the team is "actively looking" at trade scenarios.
"In the job that I have, one of the responsibilities is to improve the team," O'Connor said. "Now you can't improve the team without looking to make trades, and that's what we do. There's 29 other guys that have the same responsibilities to their teams, and they do the same thing. There's a lot of conversations."
O'Connor noted that not much trading has gone on yet around the logjammed NBA. But he likes the Jazz's "flexibility" approaching this deadline and in the offseason.
"We're active. We're listening," O'Connor said. "We're aggressive in trying to talk (about) things."
O'Connor has ownership's blessing to pursue deals, but he re-emphasized that the Jazz aren't looking for temporary benefits.
"It would have to be something long term," he said.
Trading during this condensed season can be tricky, he pointed out. Players would only have about 20 games with their new team without much practice time.
"I hope the one thing that we do do is we don't get names out or possible scenarios out or anything else out," O'Connor added, "because I think it hurts players."
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20