Bell, Jefferson didn't participate in this morning's shootaround, will play tonight
SALT LAKE CITY For completely different reasons, Raja Bell and Al Jefferson didn't participate in this morning's shootaround.
But both will play and start for the Utah Jazz tonight against the Detroit Pistons.
Jefferson's family is in mourning after his grandmother passed away in his hometown of Prentiss, Miss. Big Al said she would want him to play tonight, and he plans on going in her honor.
He also hopes to attend her funeral in Mississippi on Friday, a day off for the Jazz.
As for Bell, the shooting guard was allowed to rejoin the team after being sent home by Tyrone Corbin for a postgame dispute he had with the Jazz coach.
Bell met with Corbin and general manager Kevin O'Connor following shootaround, and both sides came out saying the heart-to-heart session went well.
Bell underwent an MRI this afternoon on his left knee, but he feels well enough to play.
Despite the conflict, Corbin decided to start his 35-year-old veteran again tonight.
The Jazz's first five also includes point guard Devin Harris, who missed Saturday's game with stomach flu, small forward Josh Howard, power forward Paul Millsap and Jefferson.
Utah (19-21) is hoping to snap a two-game skid that gave it a 2-3 record on its road trip last week.
Detroit (15-26) has won three in a row.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 63
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 43
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30