Bell, Jefferson didn't participate in this morning's shootaround, will play tonight
SALT LAKE CITY For completely different reasons, Raja Bell and Al Jefferson didn't participate in this morning's shootaround.
But both will play and start for the Utah Jazz tonight against the Detroit Pistons.
Jefferson's family is in mourning after his grandmother passed away in his hometown of Prentiss, Miss. Big Al said she would want him to play tonight, and he plans on going in her honor.
He also hopes to attend her funeral in Mississippi on Friday, a day off for the Jazz.
As for Bell, the shooting guard was allowed to rejoin the team after being sent home by Tyrone Corbin for a postgame dispute he had with the Jazz coach.
Bell met with Corbin and general manager Kevin O'Connor following shootaround, and both sides came out saying the heart-to-heart session went well.
Bell underwent an MRI this afternoon on his left knee, but he feels well enough to play.
Despite the conflict, Corbin decided to start his 35-year-old veteran again tonight.
The Jazz's first five also includes point guard Devin Harris, who missed Saturday's game with stomach flu, small forward Josh Howard, power forward Paul Millsap and Jefferson.
Utah (19-21) is hoping to snap a two-game skid that gave it a 2-3 record on its road trip last week.
Detroit (15-26) has won three in a row.
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No. 23 in...
- Ziggy Ansah helps homeless man after he was...
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6 seasons, but...
- Dick Harmon: BYU safeties Craig Bills, Dallin...
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- Brad Rock: Expect back to the future with...
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback...
- Utah State batters Wake Forest but loses...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 126
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 47
- Peavler: BYU knows it can't afford to... 42
- Dick Harmon: Leap of faith takes on... 39
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 36
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 35
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 35