Jeff Tuttle, Associated Press
WACO, Texas — Brittney Griner and undefeated Baylor are the undisputed No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA women's tournament.
The Big 12 champion Lady Bears (34-0), who could become the NCAA's first 40-win team if they win their second national title, open against Big West Conference tournament champion UC-Santa Barbara (17-15). The first-round game is Sunday at Bowling Green, Ohio.
Baylor, the 2005 national champion, made it to the Final Four two years ago in Griner's freshman season and to a regional final last year.
This is Baylor's 11th NCAA tournament, all in coach Kim Mulkey's 12 seasons.
The Lady Bears have wins this season over Connecticut and Notre Dame, also No. 1 NCAA seeds, and Tennessee, which is in the No. 2 seed in Baylor's bracket.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34