Jeff Tuttle, Associated Press
WACO, Texas — Brittney Griner and undefeated Baylor are the undisputed No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA women's tournament.
The Big 12 champion Lady Bears (34-0), who could become the NCAA's first 40-win team if they win their second national title, open against Big West Conference tournament champion UC-Santa Barbara (17-15). The first-round game is Sunday at Bowling Green, Ohio.
Baylor, the 2005 national champion, made it to the Final Four two years ago in Griner's freshman season and to a regional final last year.
This is Baylor's 11th NCAA tournament, all in coach Kim Mulkey's 12 seasons.
The Lady Bears have wins this season over Connecticut and Notre Dame, also No. 1 NCAA seeds, and Tennessee, which is in the No. 2 seed in Baylor's bracket.
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 13
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play... 4