Jeff Tuttle, Associated Press
WACO, Texas — Brittney Griner and undefeated Baylor are the undisputed No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA women's tournament.
The Big 12 champion Lady Bears (34-0), who could become the NCAA's first 40-win team if they win their second national title, open against Big West Conference tournament champion UC-Santa Barbara (17-15). The first-round game is Sunday at Bowling Green, Ohio.
Baylor, the 2005 national champion, made it to the Final Four two years ago in Griner's freshman season and to a regional final last year.
This is Baylor's 11th NCAA tournament, all in coach Kim Mulkey's 12 seasons.
The Lady Bears have wins this season over Connecticut and Notre Dame, also No. 1 NCAA seeds, and Tennessee, which is in the No. 2 seed in Baylor's bracket.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 122
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 37
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 36
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21