That was the culmination of a season that began with the dismissal of associate head coach Bernie Fine after two former ball boys accused him of sexually molesting them in the 1980s. While charges have yet to be filed against Fine, he was fired in late November. Boeheim and the university also are facing a defamation suit filed by the ball boys — Bobby Davis and stepbrother Mike Lang.
Through it all, the players have remained on an even keel, seemingly unfazed by anything. Don't expect that mindset to change at this juncture. The school's second national championship — the Orange won the first in 2003 with star Carmelo Anthony — is squarely in their sights.
"You only get one shot at this," said sophomore guard Dion Waiters, who hit seven 3-pointers for a career-high 28 points against Cincinnati. "We just want to see them (Jardine and Joseph) leave on a great moment. It'll be something you can tell your grandkids. We're trying to become a part of history."
Asheville will make just its third NCAA appearance. It received bids in 2006 and 2011, as well. The Bulldogs also were a No. 16 seed a year ago and took on a Big East team, losing to Pittsburgh.
Syracuse went 17-1 in the Big East to capture the regular-season title and has been ranked in the top five nationally all season.
"It's another game," Jardine said. "You don't want to put too much pressure on yourself. It doesn't matter where you play. We just have to play better."
If Syracuse wins, it will face either eighth-seeded Kansas State (21-10) or No. 9 Southern Mississippi (25-8).
"The success of this team in the regular season is probably a little bit underrated, underappreciated," Boeheim said. "There's a lot of games they could have lost and didn't lose. I think they deserve an awful lot of credit for the year that they've had.
"It's been an amazing year."
On and off the court.
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- The Clean Cut: NBA star's 2-year-old daughter...
- BYU baseball team confident entering West...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 112
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 65
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 41
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18
- Dick Harmon: Who's going to follow... 16