Mark Humphrey, Associated Press
HATTIESBURG, Miss. — Southern Miss is headed to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1991.
The Golden Eagles (25-8) will face Kansas State (21-10) in the second round on Thursday in Pittsburgh.
It's been a long road for coach Larry Eustachy, who has rebuilt his career in eight seasons at Southern Miss.
Eustachy was once regarded as one of the best young coaches in the country. He took Iowa State to the Elite Eight in 2000, but had to resign following the 2003 season after photos surfaced of the coach partying with young women.
He got a second chance at Southern Miss, but it hasn't been a quick fix. The 56-year-old slowly built the program back to respectability and narrowly missed an NCAA bid last season after winning 22 games.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24