The Romney campaign boosted its television ad spending from $165,000 to $233,000 in Alabama. Restore Our Future, a super PAC run by former Romney advisers, was spending $1.42 million on ads in Alabama and $973,000 in Mississippi.
Romney planned to campaign in Alabama Monday.
Gingrich and Santorum also had support on the air by well-heeled outside groups.
The Gingrich campaign was running about $125,000 in ads in Alabama and $83,000 in Mississippi while the pro-Gingrich super PAC Winning Our Future was spending $413,000 on ads in Alabama and $250,000 in Mississippi.
Santorum had only a nominal presence on the air in both states. But the Red White and Blue fund, his allied super PAC, was spending $275,000 on ads in Alabama and $235,000 in Mississippi.
Wins in the U.S. territories Guam, the Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands along with Wyoming helped Romney significantly pad his delegate lead in the race. The Associated Press calculates that Romney now has 454 delegates compared to 217 for Santorum, 107 for Gingrich and 47 for Texas Rep. Ron Paul.
A candidate must win 1,144 to clinch the Republican presidential nomination at the national convention.
Elliott reported from Tupelo, Miss. Associated Press reporter Stephen Ohlemacher contributed to this report.
Follow Beth Fouhy on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bfouhy
Follow Philip Elliott on Twitter at www.twitter.com/philip_elliott
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's...
- Jet may have turned; suspicious passengers...
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian plane;...
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- Themes of faith, freedom echo at CPAC in...
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican... 19
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 19
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for... 13
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians 9
- Former Secretary of State Hillary... 6