The Romney campaign boosted its television ad spending from $165,000 to $233,000 in Alabama. Restore Our Future, a super PAC run by former Romney advisers, was spending $1.42 million on ads in Alabama and $973,000 in Mississippi.
Romney planned to campaign in Alabama Monday.
Gingrich and Santorum also had support on the air by well-heeled outside groups.
The Gingrich campaign was running about $125,000 in ads in Alabama and $83,000 in Mississippi while the pro-Gingrich super PAC Winning Our Future was spending $413,000 on ads in Alabama and $250,000 in Mississippi.
Santorum had only a nominal presence on the air in both states. But the Red White and Blue fund, his allied super PAC, was spending $275,000 on ads in Alabama and $235,000 in Mississippi.
Wins in the U.S. territories Guam, the Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands along with Wyoming helped Romney significantly pad his delegate lead in the race. The Associated Press calculates that Romney now has 454 delegates compared to 217 for Santorum, 107 for Gingrich and 47 for Texas Rep. Ron Paul.
A candidate must win 1,144 to clinch the Republican presidential nomination at the national convention.
Elliott reported from Tupelo, Miss. Associated Press reporter Stephen Ohlemacher contributed to this report.
Follow Beth Fouhy on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bfouhy
Follow Philip Elliott on Twitter at www.twitter.com/philip_elliott
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- Central African Republic mobs launch ethnic...
- Food-tech startups aim to replace eggs and...
- Purge sends chilling message to North Korea's...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 110
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 106
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 32
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Space and religion: How believers view... 20
- Obama administration will allow green... 17
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- Former South African President Nelson... 13