Bret Hartman, Associated Press
CARSON, Calif. — Javier Morales scored the go-ahead goal in the 80th minute, Fabian Espindola added another late score, and Real Salt Lake spoiled the defending MLS champion Los Angeles Galaxy's season opener with a 3-1 victory Saturday night.
David Beckham's dazzling pass set up Edson Buddle's goal on a header for the Galaxy in the 71st minute, but Sean Franklin's own-goal moments later evened it for Salt Lake, which lost to Los Angeles last season in the Western Conference final.
Morales then capitalized on a miscommunication in Los Angeles' defense to score the winner, banging a short shot past Josh Saunders in the box.
Espindola got another in the 85th minute on the run, celebrating in front of Real's small band of traveling supporters. The Galaxy had several late chances, but Salt Lake handed the Galaxy their first home loss in 26 matches since Nov. 14, 2010, thoroughly ruining a celebratory night for Beckham and Los Angeles' star-studded roster.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 45
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 40
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 26