Bret Hartman, Associated Press
CARSON, Calif. — Javier Morales scored the go-ahead goal in the 80th minute, Fabian Espindola added another late score, and Real Salt Lake spoiled the defending MLS champion Los Angeles Galaxy's season opener with a 3-1 victory Saturday night.
David Beckham's dazzling pass set up Edson Buddle's goal on a header for the Galaxy in the 71st minute, but Sean Franklin's own-goal moments later evened it for Salt Lake, which lost to Los Angeles last season in the Western Conference final.
Morales then capitalized on a miscommunication in Los Angeles' defense to score the winner, banging a short shot past Josh Saunders in the box.
Espindola got another in the 85th minute on the run, celebrating in front of Real's small band of traveling supporters. The Galaxy had several late chances, but Salt Lake handed the Galaxy their first home loss in 26 matches since Nov. 14, 2010, thoroughly ruining a celebratory night for Beckham and Los Angeles' star-studded roster.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22