Bret Hartman, Associated Press
CARSON, Calif. — Javier Morales scored the go-ahead goal in the 80th minute, Fabian Espindola added another late score, and Real Salt Lake spoiled the defending MLS champion Los Angeles Galaxy's season opener with a 3-1 victory Saturday night.
David Beckham's dazzling pass set up Edson Buddle's goal on a header for the Galaxy in the 71st minute, but Sean Franklin's own-goal moments later evened it for Salt Lake, which lost to Los Angeles last season in the Western Conference final.
Morales then capitalized on a miscommunication in Los Angeles' defense to score the winner, banging a short shot past Josh Saunders in the box.
Espindola got another in the 85th minute on the run, celebrating in front of Real's small band of traveling supporters. The Galaxy had several late chances, but Salt Lake handed the Galaxy their first home loss in 26 matches since Nov. 14, 2010, thoroughly ruining a celebratory night for Beckham and Los Angeles' star-studded roster.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 142
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 35
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16