WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Stockton Thunder 4-3 Saturday night at Maverik Center in front of 6,876 fans to win their third-straight game.
"Obviously, we're real happy with the result," said Assistant Coach Leigh Mendelson. "Andrew (Engelage) was very good for us and we blocked some shots towards the end. We're real happy with our first 40, but we didn't play very smart in the third period." Utah finished eight games in 12 nights in the process as fatigue set in late.
Utah battled back from a pair of one-goal deficits in the first period, but never took more than 2:43 to tie the game up. Even Stephens, acquired Thursday, scored his first goal in his second game with Utah to tie the game 5:17 into the first period as he ripped in a puck from the circle.
Dave Strathman extended his scoring streak to four with an assist and Logan MacMillan started his two point night with an assist.
The Grizzlies made it 2-2 as Paul McIlveen ripped home his team-leading 27th goal of the year with 2:06 left in the first. MacMillan and Ross Carlson picked up assists as Carlson extended his scoring streak to five games.
Utah took their first lead of the night as McIlveen added another on a delayed power-play as John Armstrong won a battle along the wall, then drew a penalty, before C.J. Severyn threaded the needle to McIlveen cross ice in the circle. The lead lasted just 1:07, before Stockton again drew the game to a tie.
The Grizzlies took their final lead of the night as Mitch Wahl (19) scored the game-winner 7:39 into the second on a power-play goal. Wahl was attempting to center the puck to Carlson, but it hit a Stockton defender and went into the net. McIlveen earned a three point night (two goals, one assist) on the play and Ross Carlson tacked on his second assist for his second-straight multiple-point night.
Andrew Engelage stopped 31 of 34 shots, 20-straight to finish the game and all 13 in the third period to earn his 21st win of the year. Utah didn't allow a shot in the final four minutes of the contest.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41