WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Stockton Thunder 4-3 Saturday night at Maverik Center in front of 6,876 fans to win their third-straight game.
"Obviously, we're real happy with the result," said Assistant Coach Leigh Mendelson. "Andrew (Engelage) was very good for us and we blocked some shots towards the end. We're real happy with our first 40, but we didn't play very smart in the third period." Utah finished eight games in 12 nights in the process as fatigue set in late.
Utah battled back from a pair of one-goal deficits in the first period, but never took more than 2:43 to tie the game up. Even Stephens, acquired Thursday, scored his first goal in his second game with Utah to tie the game 5:17 into the first period as he ripped in a puck from the circle.
Dave Strathman extended his scoring streak to four with an assist and Logan MacMillan started his two point night with an assist.
The Grizzlies made it 2-2 as Paul McIlveen ripped home his team-leading 27th goal of the year with 2:06 left in the first. MacMillan and Ross Carlson picked up assists as Carlson extended his scoring streak to five games.
Utah took their first lead of the night as McIlveen added another on a delayed power-play as John Armstrong won a battle along the wall, then drew a penalty, before C.J. Severyn threaded the needle to McIlveen cross ice in the circle. The lead lasted just 1:07, before Stockton again drew the game to a tie.
The Grizzlies took their final lead of the night as Mitch Wahl (19) scored the game-winner 7:39 into the second on a power-play goal. Wahl was attempting to center the puck to Carlson, but it hit a Stockton defender and went into the net. McIlveen earned a three point night (two goals, one assist) on the play and Ross Carlson tacked on his second assist for his second-straight multiple-point night.
Andrew Engelage stopped 31 of 34 shots, 20-straight to finish the game and all 13 in the third period to earn his 21st win of the year. Utah didn't allow a shot in the final four minutes of the contest.
- Dustin Johnson wins US Open at Oakmont for...
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA Finals...
- The End: Cleveland rocks as title drought...
- Warriors cap greatest Finals collapse with...
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 87
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- James and Cavaliers win thrilling NBA... 28
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22