Victor Decolongon, Getty Images
CARSON, Calif. — Four months later, Real Salt Lake got its revenge on the Galaxy.
In a rematch of last years thrilling Western Conference final, RSL scored a whopping three goals in the final 17 minutes at the Home Depot Center Saturday night to spoil the season opener for the defending champs with an impressive — at times dominant — 3-1 victory.
After an L.A. own goal in the 73rd minute leveled the score at 1-1, Javier Morales put RSL in front in the 80th minute and then Fabian Espindola delivered the dagger in the 84th minute on a breakaway finish in front of the stunned sell-out crowd.
RSL was the better team for large portions of the match, but in the 71st minute it was Los Angeles that finally broke the stalemate on wonderful service by David Beckahm and an even better finish from Edson Buddle, who found just enough space between RSLs center backs to head it home for the 1-0 lead.
The Galaxy scored again two minutes later but in the wrong net.
L.A. defender Sean Franklin redirected a Sebastian Velasquez cross into the back of his own net in the 73rd minute leveling the score at 1-1.
Velasquez was the first RSL rookie since Mehdi Ballouchy in 2006 to start a season opener. The humble junior college player was poised throughout the night.
Second-half substitute Morales delivered the game winner in the 80th minute burying a close-range shot in traffic off L.A. keeper Josh Saunders.
The victory was Real Salt Lakes third straight season opening victory, with the previous two coming against the San Jose Earthquakes.
RSL returns to action next Saturday when it hosts the New York Red Bulls.
To read a replay of our live commentary on this game, click here.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27