Mel Evans, Associated Press
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Demitrius Conger had 22 points and 10 rebounds and St. Bonaventure advanced to the Atlantic 10 Conference championship game by holding off Massachusetts 84-80 on Saturday afternoon.
Conference player of the year Andrew Nicholson added 19 points for the fourth-seeded Bonnies (19-11), now one win from advancing to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2000.
The Bonnies will face third-seeded Xavier for the championship and the automatic bid to the show on Sunday. The Musketeers (21-11) knocked off Saint Louis 71-64.
Massachusetts (22-11) rallied from a 16-point deficit with 7:29 to play and had a chance to take the lead in the closing seconds, only to see Raphiael Putney's high-arcing 3-pointer hit off the side of the rim with less than 2 seconds to play.
Matthew Wright hit two free throws to ice the game.
Terrell Vinson had 20 for UMass, which knocked off top-seeded Temple on Friday.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 15
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14