Mel Evans, Associated Press
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Demitrius Conger had 22 points and 10 rebounds and St. Bonaventure advanced to the Atlantic 10 Conference championship game by holding off Massachusetts 84-80 on Saturday afternoon.
Conference player of the year Andrew Nicholson added 19 points for the fourth-seeded Bonnies (19-11), now one win from advancing to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2000.
The Bonnies will face third-seeded Xavier for the championship and the automatic bid to the show on Sunday. The Musketeers (21-11) knocked off Saint Louis 71-64.
Massachusetts (22-11) rallied from a 16-point deficit with 7:29 to play and had a chance to take the lead in the closing seconds, only to see Raphiael Putney's high-arcing 3-pointer hit off the side of the rim with less than 2 seconds to play.
Matthew Wright hit two free throws to ice the game.
Terrell Vinson had 20 for UMass, which knocked off top-seeded Temple on Friday.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20