May said he believes labor unions and the Obama health care plan are ruining the country. He said this presidential election is one of the most important in a long time because he wants Obama out of the White House. May said he stayed away from voting for most of his adult life.
"Only guy I had ever voted for was Jimmy Carter, so I figured I wasn't any good at it," he deadpanned.
Jennifer Skipper, 34, a lawyer who lives in Madison, said she plans to vote for Romney. She believes he has a strong record on economic issues and thinks he'll appeal to a broad range of voters in November. Skipper said she wants a president who will support policies that will help all types of families be self-sufficient.
In choosing among the Republican primary candidates, Skipper said the deciding factor is "how much I feel, personally, they can beat Barack Obama. I certainly don't want to put up a candidate who's going to lose."
Bob Hardin, 64, of Jackson, who works in commercial mortgages and investments, attended the Romney rally at the farmers market. He said he probably will vote for Romney because he sees Romney as a successful businessman with strong executive leadership qualities.
Hardin said he has no qualms about Romney, but he thinks others might.
"A broad spectrum of blue-collar Americans may resent his financial success," Hardin said.
Hardin said he's not optimistic about Republicans' chances of defeating an incumbent president, and he believes the party should concentrate its resources on winning control of the U.S. Senate.
"You're not going to beat Obama this year," Hardin said. "Nobody is."
- Calliop, Jag and Tintin: Here's a look at 20...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- What you think of welfare program depends on...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- India government likely to review... 25
- What you think of welfare program... 25
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Health care signups increase to... 23
- Looking beyond the premium is a... 17
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 15
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 13