May said he believes labor unions and the Obama health care plan are ruining the country. He said this presidential election is one of the most important in a long time because he wants Obama out of the White House. May said he stayed away from voting for most of his adult life.
"Only guy I had ever voted for was Jimmy Carter, so I figured I wasn't any good at it," he deadpanned.
Jennifer Skipper, 34, a lawyer who lives in Madison, said she plans to vote for Romney. She believes he has a strong record on economic issues and thinks he'll appeal to a broad range of voters in November. Skipper said she wants a president who will support policies that will help all types of families be self-sufficient.
In choosing among the Republican primary candidates, Skipper said the deciding factor is "how much I feel, personally, they can beat Barack Obama. I certainly don't want to put up a candidate who's going to lose."
Bob Hardin, 64, of Jackson, who works in commercial mortgages and investments, attended the Romney rally at the farmers market. He said he probably will vote for Romney because he sees Romney as a successful businessman with strong executive leadership qualities.
Hardin said he has no qualms about Romney, but he thinks others might.
"A broad spectrum of blue-collar Americans may resent his financial success," Hardin said.
Hardin said he's not optimistic about Republicans' chances of defeating an incumbent president, and he believes the party should concentrate its resources on winning control of the U.S. Senate.
"You're not going to beat Obama this year," Hardin said. "Nobody is."
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil...
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious Liberty...
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- #ThrowbackThursday: Why do we love the '90s?
- Threat to break isolation in Liberia over food
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 114
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 22
- California orders churches, others to... 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 18
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- Kerry: 'Irresponsible' not to aid Kurds... 7