May said he believes labor unions and the Obama health care plan are ruining the country. He said this presidential election is one of the most important in a long time because he wants Obama out of the White House. May said he stayed away from voting for most of his adult life.
"Only guy I had ever voted for was Jimmy Carter, so I figured I wasn't any good at it," he deadpanned.
Jennifer Skipper, 34, a lawyer who lives in Madison, said she plans to vote for Romney. She believes he has a strong record on economic issues and thinks he'll appeal to a broad range of voters in November. Skipper said she wants a president who will support policies that will help all types of families be self-sufficient.
In choosing among the Republican primary candidates, Skipper said the deciding factor is "how much I feel, personally, they can beat Barack Obama. I certainly don't want to put up a candidate who's going to lose."
Bob Hardin, 64, of Jackson, who works in commercial mortgages and investments, attended the Romney rally at the farmers market. He said he probably will vote for Romney because he sees Romney as a successful businessman with strong executive leadership qualities.
Hardin said he has no qualms about Romney, but he thinks others might.
"A broad spectrum of blue-collar Americans may resent his financial success," Hardin said.
Hardin said he's not optimistic about Republicans' chances of defeating an incumbent president, and he believes the party should concentrate its resources on winning control of the U.S. Senate.
"You're not going to beat Obama this year," Hardin said. "Nobody is."
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Maine in standoff with nurse over Ebola...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- Pope Francis: The devil is real and...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- #Technologyandstuff: Chevy makes the best of...
- In the Nevada desert, eight-man football team...
- Plane crashes at Kansas airport, killing 4
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 63
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 42
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 13