Missing 10-year-old West Valley girl found, custodial parents give statement
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — The 10-year-old girl abducted from her elementary school Friday afternoon has been located by police, and the Amber Alert activated for her abduction has been cancelled.
Aliyah Kay Crowder was located with her mother and suspect in the case, Venus Athena Barker in the northern part of Utah Friday night, police said in a statement issued just after midnight. According to the statement, Barker was initially unwilling to work with police, but after several hours of negotiations, she agreed to comply with them.
As of the time of the police statement, Aliyah had not been returned to her biological father, who has custody of her, though investigators are working to do so as circumstances permit.
Click here for full story.
Statement given from Aliyah Crowder's custodial parents:
"After a distressing 14 hour period, our dear Aliyah was reunited with us around 2 a.m. this morning.
We would like to express our heartfelt thanks to the West Valley Police Department and all other law enforcement agencies that assisted in her recovery. Additionally, we would like to thank our community for their support and for all the prayers that were offered for her safe return. These prayers have been answered and Aliyah is doing very well.
We are appreciative of the Amber Alert that was issued in Aliyahs behalf and also for the vast media attention that undoubtedly assisted law enforcement in their efforts.
At this time, we respectfully request that our family be allowed to recover from this ordeal in privacy."
Michael and Annie Varner
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 19
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Young adults are faced with risky... 13
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11