NFL roundup: Washington Redskins maneuver to draft Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III
FOXSports.com is reporting the Washington Redskins have a deal in place to acquire the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft and plan to take Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.
Under the deal reported by the website, the Redskins and St. Louis Rams will swap first-round selections this year. The Rams also will receive multiple future first-round draft picks and other selections.
ESPN.com reported St. Louis will receive Washington's first and second-round picks this year, and the Redskins' first-round picks in 2013 and 2014.
The trade moves the Redskins up four places from sixth in the April draft, leapfrogging any other team that would have an interest in the Heisman Trophy winner. The Indianapolis Colts are expected to take Andrew Luck with the No. 1 pick.
The Redskins were among the teams hoping to be in the running for Peyton Manning, but the odds were stacked against the former Colts quarterback coming to Washington. The offense needs upgrades at receiver and along the offensive line, and Peyton would have had to face his brother Eli Manning of the New York Giants twice a year in the NFC East.
The Rams were in the market to trade because they already have their franchise quarterback, 2010 No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford. The Redskins had to make an offer they felt would outbid the quarterback-needy Cleveland Browns, who could have offered both the No. 4 and No. 22 selections in this year's draft.
MANNING MEETS WITH BRONCOS: Peyton Manning met for nearly six hours with the Denver Broncos on Friday, then left the team's facility without speaking with reporters.
About 48 hours after being released by the Indianapolis Colts, Manning met with another Super Bowl-winning quarterback, Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway, and coach John Fox. The three chatted while taking a tour of the team's practice field and heading to the weight room. They spent several hours together after that before the four-time MVP departed.
COLTS CUT 5: The Indianapolis Colts are starting over. Completely. The Colts announced they were cutting four fan favorites: running back Joseph Addai, linebacker Gary Brackett, safety Melvin Bullitt and tight end Dallas Clark. Quarterback Curtis Painter also was released Friday.
GIANTS RELEASE JACOBS: Brandon Jacobs was released Friday by the New York Giants after he could not reach agreement on a restructured deal.
3 BRONCOS SUSPENDED: The NFL suspended linebacker D.J. Williams, defensive tackle Ryan McBean and tight end Virgil Green of the Denver Broncos for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
JETS EXTEND SANCHEZ'S CONTRACT: The Jets have extended quarterback Mark Sanchez's contract by three years and dropped out of pursuing Manning.
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- Prep softball: Lehi whips Herriman twice to...
- High school boys soccer: Freshman lifts...
- High school baseball: Walker leads Pleasant...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 125
- Guest commentary: Want national... 66
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 45
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 39
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 36
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 30
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 20