Dave Hrechkosy, a former NHL player and a member of the Salt Lake Golden Eagles for all or most of three seasons, passed away Wednesday night of brain cancer. He was 60 years old.
Dave was runner-up for NHL rookie of the year in 1974-75 when he scored 29 goals and 43 points. All told, he played 140 games in the NHL with the California Golden Seals and St. Louis Blues, totaling 42 goals and 66 points. Overall, he had a nine-year pro hockey career.
After retiring in 1979, he eventually went to work for Coca-Cola in Salt Lake City, and was with the company for 18 years before becoming the director of concessions for the University of Utah. After four years at Utah, he became director of concessions for Texas A&M in College Station in 2004, where he worked until he retired in January. During his stint with the Aggies, he served a two-year term as the president of the National Association of Collegiate Concessionaires.
A viewing for Dave will be held Monday night at Starks Funeral Parlor from 6-8 p.m., and the funeral service will begin at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Blessed Sacrament Church.
Grizz slam Thunder
WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Stockton Thunder 4-1 Friday night at Maverik Center.
Utah never trailed in the game and took a 1-0 lead 12:05 into the first period as Ross Carlson went top shelf for his second goal.
Utah took a 2-1 lead 14:20 into the second period.
The Grizzlies got two power-play goals in the third period and made it 4-1 with 5:12 left as Ryan Turek blasted home a slapshot.
All 15 Utah skaters recorded at least a shot in the game.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7