WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Stockton Thunder 4-1 Friday night at Maverik Center.
Utah never trailed in the game and took a 1-0 lead 12:05 into the first period as Ross Carlson went top shelf for his second goal of the year and extended his scoring streak to four games. Dave Strathman and Mitch Wahl picked up assists after working hard to hold the puck in.
"We have to build the culture, details and habits like it's a training camp again," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "We're starting to get a full lineup and now the guys can be accountable to do the right things and get on a roll here. I thought for the most part that it was a decent game, we did a lot of good things throughout this game and we need to be honest with our mistakes and get better. We're getting there and it's a positive thing. From last game to this game, we built momentum."
Utah took a 2-1 lead 14:20 into the second period and 5:43 after Stockton tied the game at one. John Armstrong won a battle in the neutral zone and got the puck to Kory Falite who fired a shot on net that was sent home by Mitch Wahl for his 18th goal of the year.
The Grizzlies got two power-play goals in the third period to add insurance. Colin Vock tucked in a rebound at 7:38 as he came up ice with C.J. Severyn and Strathman who earned assists.
Utah made it 4-1 with 5:12 left as Ryan Turek blasted home a slapshot on the power-play with Carlson and Wahl picking up assists.
All 15 Utah skaters recorded at least a shot in the game, 11 had two shots or more.
Andrew Engelage earned his 20th win of the season by stopping 30 of 31 Stockton looks.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20