Deseret News archives
Two things bother me about the presidential campaign: making Romney's wealth a liability, even though he earned his money and didn't just inherit it, and saying that he can't relate to the average Joe because of his upper-class lifestyle.
It seems like yesterday we were oohing and aahing over the Kennedys at Hyannis Port, playing football together and enjoying the good life. We didn't worry that they couldn't connect with the average Joe. Several of them lacked business experience, but we elected them to important positions in government anyway.
In today's campaign, candidates are spoken of as underdogs because their campaign funding can't compete with Romney's. Isn't this just another example of Romney's ability to organize and get things done right?
We should be touting his past successes. The very skills that have brought him to this point in life are the skills that can bring order and balance to our government. Let's only criticize when criticism is due.
Salt Lake City
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive...
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local police...
- John Hoffmire: To feed the world, we must...
- Letter: Singles solution
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are...
- Letter: Protect public lands
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive... 43
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 42
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local... 28
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test? 27
- In our opinion: How committed are... 26
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are... 21