Deseret News archives
Two things bother me about the presidential campaign: making Romney's wealth a liability, even though he earned his money and didn't just inherit it, and saying that he can't relate to the average Joe because of his upper-class lifestyle.
It seems like yesterday we were oohing and aahing over the Kennedys at Hyannis Port, playing football together and enjoying the good life. We didn't worry that they couldn't connect with the average Joe. Several of them lacked business experience, but we elected them to important positions in government anyway.
In today's campaign, candidates are spoken of as underdogs because their campaign funding can't compete with Romney's. Isn't this just another example of Romney's ability to organize and get things done right?
We should be touting his past successes. The very skills that have brought him to this point in life are the skills that can bring order and balance to our government. Let's only criticize when criticism is due.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics would be...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- Letter: Erratic protests
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Identifying...
- Drew Clark: Utah prison volunteers provide a...
- Letter: Lagoon animals
- My view: Moving the prison would present...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 67
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 46
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23