Caucus week: Push is on to bring more voices into the election process
Many hoping to get more Utahns involved in party caucuses this week
If re-elected, Hatch, as the ranking member on the Senate Finance Committee, is poised to become chairman of that committee, arguably the most powerful committee position because of its purview of budget issues like Medicare and Social Security.
That position — which Hatch is happy to remind people about — turns the dial in his direction, according to some political watchers.
"There's a group of people who wish we had Bob Bennett back and that may work in favor of Orrin," Karras said. "And the pragmatic approach may help him — with some who don't want to scalpel people so badly."
For her part in the upcoming caucus meetings, Sadler is bringing as many friends and supporters to boost her chances at becoming a delegate.
"I want to see how it works this year. It can never hurt and you never know what will happen," she said. If she fails, she'll be back in two years to try again.
"I know what issues matter and I will become very informed, but beyond that, I will be really wiling to hear what people in my neighborhood think and what is important to them," she said. "I will act as a real delegate."
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: amyjoi16
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 19
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Young adults are faced with risky... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11