There were plenty of kudos to go around. Bullock and Barnes finished with 15 points. Zeller chipped in with 14. So did James Michael McAdoo, taking advantage of extra playing time with Henson sidelined.
"James Michael, he brings that motor," Bullock said.
Stoglin, the ACC's leading scorer, started out strong by making his first four shots — including a couple of 3s — and three straight free throws. But when he went cold, missing his next five shots, Maryland's hopes faded away.
Things got a bit chippy at the end. Maryland's Berend Weijs was called for a flagrant foul on McAdoo, who fell on his left hand. But he wasn't hurt as bad as Henson, staying in the game until Williams cleared his bench in the final minutes.
Maryland endured a transitional first season under new coach Mark Turgeon, who took over after Gary Williams retired. Clearly, the Terrapins have a ways to go to catch up to the ACC's elite teams, losing to North Carolina for the third straight time this season — by an average of more than 16 points a game.
"Their length gives us problems," Turgeon said. "I was disappointed we couldn't score on McAdoo. I thought we could score on him. He is not 7 foot. Our guys were just out of it. Our post guys were just out of it."
Stoglin is looking for things to improve in next year under Turgeon.
"We learned so much this year," Stogln said. "We are a young team."
Follow Paul Newberry on Twitter at www.twitter.com/pnewberry1963
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 69
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24