NEW YORK — Starbucks Corp. said Thursday that it will soon sell a single-cup coffee machine that lets people brew lattes and other coffee drinks at home.
The Seattle-based coffee chain says the Verismo will go on sale online and at some Starbucks cafes this fall. It's keeping the price of the machine a mystery for now.
Starbucks first entered the single-serve market with its Via Ready Brew instant coffee in 2009, and it started selling K-cup packs for Green Mountain Coffee's Keurig single-cup machines in November.
A Starbucks representative said the new machine "fulfills a different consumer need" from the K-cup packs.
Shares of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters nevertheless sank $14.50, or 23 percent, to $47.90, in after-market electronic trading. The shares had closed down $1.32 at $2.40.
Starbucks shares climbed $1.81, or 3.6 percent, to $52.18 after hours.
Starbucks says its Verismo machine and coffee and milk pods are being developed in partnership with Krueger GmbH & Co KG, a privately held German company. The machine will be able to make espresso drinks as well as brewed coffee.
CEO Howard Schultz says the $8 billion dollar premium single-cup segment is the fastest growing part of the global coffee industry.
Schultz has said in the past that Starbucks' packaged-goods business could one day rival its cafÉ business. A key component of that will be increasing the company's single-serve coffee sales in the United States.
Starbucks stock, which had traded between $33.72 and $49.52 the past year, rose 88 cents in regular trading to close at a new 52-week high of $50.37.
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- US, Arab allies hit IS strongholds in Syria,...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Police say rifle carried by ambush suspect found
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Obama scores coalition victory with Arab strikes
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Obama scores coalition victory with... 16
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 14
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 14
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 11
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9