NEW YORK — Starbucks Corp. said Thursday that it will soon sell a single-cup coffee machine that lets people brew lattes and other coffee drinks at home.
The Seattle-based coffee chain says the Verismo will go on sale online and at some Starbucks cafes this fall. It's keeping the price of the machine a mystery for now.
Starbucks first entered the single-serve market with its Via Ready Brew instant coffee in 2009, and it started selling K-cup packs for Green Mountain Coffee's Keurig single-cup machines in November.
A Starbucks representative said the new machine "fulfills a different consumer need" from the K-cup packs.
Shares of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters nevertheless sank $14.50, or 23 percent, to $47.90, in after-market electronic trading. The shares had closed down $1.32 at $2.40.
Starbucks shares climbed $1.81, or 3.6 percent, to $52.18 after hours.
Starbucks says its Verismo machine and coffee and milk pods are being developed in partnership with Krueger GmbH & Co KG, a privately held German company. The machine will be able to make espresso drinks as well as brewed coffee.
CEO Howard Schultz says the $8 billion dollar premium single-cup segment is the fastest growing part of the global coffee industry.
Schultz has said in the past that Starbucks' packaged-goods business could one day rival its cafÉ business. A key component of that will be increasing the company's single-serve coffee sales in the United States.
Starbucks stock, which had traded between $33.72 and $49.52 the past year, rose 88 cents in regular trading to close at a new 52-week high of $50.37.
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Stronger quake may...
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal...
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges mistakes in...
- Utah's Tibetan community prays, mourns for...
- How to help Nepal earthquake victims
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ceremonies mark liberation of concentration...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 58
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 32
- Obama sounds alarm on climate damage in... 30
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 29
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 22
- Clinton Foundation admits missteps in... 15
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 13