WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Ontario Reign 3-2 in overtime Wednesday night at Maverik Center.
Paul McIlveen scored his team-leading 26th goal of the year nine seconds into a power-play and 3:22 into the overtime for the game-winner. Kory Falite fed Mitch Wahl who went circle-to-circle to McIlveen for the wide open look on the net.
"The goal at the end there was good puck movement, a good seam pass and McIlveen buried it," said head coach Kevin Colley. "Everyone was involved tonight, our forwards were competing, it's been a miserable week and a half, it's good to get two points."
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage stopped 38 of 40 shots for the win.
The Grizzlies trailed 1-0 going to the first period as Engelage made some huge saves shorthanded, but with a pile on him, he was unable to get up and Pat Bowen went top shelf with 1:04 left in the opening frame on essentially an empty-net.
Utah tied the game 2:45 into the second period as Turek threw a puck in and Mitch Wahl hacked in a rebound for his 17th goal of the year. Colin Vock picked up an assist as well.
The 1-1 score held until 5:43 into the third period when Paul McIlveen dropped the puck to Dave Strathman on a three-on-two rush for his second goal in two games. Ross Carlson extended his scoring streak to three games, by picking up an assist.
In the final two minutes, Ontario was able to tie the game and also drew a penalty, but the Grizzlies held them off of the board and forced the extra period.
The Grizzlies host Stockton Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. at Maverik Center to complete their four-game in six-night home stand.
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Curtain raiser: Quin Snyder Era begins in...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35