WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Ontario Reign 3-2 in overtime Wednesday night at Maverik Center.
Paul McIlveen scored his team-leading 26th goal of the year nine seconds into a power-play and 3:22 into the overtime for the game-winner. Kory Falite fed Mitch Wahl who went circle-to-circle to McIlveen for the wide open look on the net.
"The goal at the end there was good puck movement, a good seam pass and McIlveen buried it," said head coach Kevin Colley. "Everyone was involved tonight, our forwards were competing, it's been a miserable week and a half, it's good to get two points."
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage stopped 38 of 40 shots for the win.
The Grizzlies trailed 1-0 going to the first period as Engelage made some huge saves shorthanded, but with a pile on him, he was unable to get up and Pat Bowen went top shelf with 1:04 left in the opening frame on essentially an empty-net.
Utah tied the game 2:45 into the second period as Turek threw a puck in and Mitch Wahl hacked in a rebound for his 17th goal of the year. Colin Vock picked up an assist as well.
The 1-1 score held until 5:43 into the third period when Paul McIlveen dropped the puck to Dave Strathman on a three-on-two rush for his second goal in two games. Ross Carlson extended his scoring streak to three games, by picking up an assist.
In the final two minutes, Ontario was able to tie the game and also drew a penalty, but the Grizzlies held them off of the board and forced the extra period.
The Grizzlies host Stockton Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. at Maverik Center to complete their four-game in six-night home stand.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16