College roundup: Utes' Maria Graefnings wins Nordic freestyle NCAA title
BOZEMAN, Mont. — Senior Maria Graefnings won her second national title and Miles Havlick finished as the runner-up to lead the University of Utah ski team in the Nordic freestyle races on the first day of the NCAA Championships at Bohart Ranch.
After the first day at the NCAA Championships, the Utes stand in third place with 179 points. Utah trails leaders Dartmouth by 31 points (214) and runner-up Vermont by four (183).
In her NCAA Championships debut, junior Parker Tyler gutted out a 20th-place effort and was just .07 seconds behind Beth Taylor of Bates College for 19th place.
Senior Rose Kemp fought through adversity to finish as the third Utah scorer in the race and rounded out the Ute effort in 35th place during her third career race at the NCAA Championships.
Junior Miles Havlick took runner-up honors in the 10k freestyle race for the best finish of his career at the NCAA Championships. This was his second career podium finish at the national meet.
UTAH STATE: Andrew Paulson has been named the Western Athletic Conference Golfer of the Week.
It is the first time in his career that Paulson, a freshman from Sandy (Brighton HS), has won a WAC golfer of the week or month award.
SOUTHERN UTAH: The Thunderbirds (2-7) will play its first home games of the season this week against Utah Valley (2-8). This week's series was originally scheduled to begin on Thursday, but due to weather conditions will now consist solely of a doubleheader set for Friday at noon (MST)
UTAH: The Utes' women's tennis team (7-3, 0-0 Pac-12) jumped up five spots to No. 28 in the latest ITA College Tennis Rankings, released Tuesday. This is the Utes' highest midseason ranking since 1991, when they held a national ranking of No. 20.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 90
- Things won't get any easier for... 66
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 51
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule... 22