Jae C. Hong, Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — Lazeric Jones scored 15 points and UCLA got untracked after an awful first half to beat rival Southern California 55-40 Wednesday in the opening round of the Pac-12 tournament.
The fifth-seeded Bruins (19-13) advanced to a quarterfinal game Thursday at Staples Center against fourth-seeded Arizona, which got a first-round bye. The teams split in the regular season.
Travis Wear scored 12 points and twin brother David had 10 rebounds as the Bruins completed a season sweep of the hapless Trojans, who lost their season-high 10th in a row.
UCLA big man Joshua Smith didn't play in the first half at the decision of coach Ben Howland. He finished with five points and zero rebounds after picking up three fouls in less than a minute.
USC (6-26) finished with a school-record number of losses. The 12th-seeded Trojans were led by freshman Byron Wesley with 13 points and Garrett Jackson with 11.
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 28
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21