Monkees won't attend Davy Jones' funeral, Micky Dolenz says
Mark Terrill, File, Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — Davy Jones' funeral will not be the stage for a reunion of his former Monkees bandmates, according to the group's Micky Dolenz, who said his understanding was that the family wanted to keep the service "low-key" and avoid a "media circus."
Dolenz told Billboard.com that if he, Peter Tork or Mike Nesmith were to show up by themselves or together, "it would very quickly be degraded into something that I don't think his immediate family would want to deal with."
The three had, however, spoken with one another since Jones' death, he said, and were all "in shock."
"Davy was the youngest and had a pretty healthy lifestyle and was ... the last one I thought would be first," Dolenz said.
According to family sources, Jones' body will be cremated and a memorial service date to be determined will be held in his home state of Florida, TMZ said Tuesday. Public memorials are also being planned for New York and England.
Jones died of a heart attack last Wednesday. He was 66.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- 2 on missing Malaysia jet used stolen EU...
- Oil slicks found in hunt for Malaysia jet...
- Terrorist attack? Mechanical failure? Reasons...
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican...
- Survey: Cost a growing factor in college...
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 53
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 22
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 14
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will... 9