SOUTHERNERS DON'T LIKE ROMNEY
Look where Romney is winning. It's not in the South.
Romney does well in the Northeast and Midwest, but he is running weak below the Mason-Dixon line. South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee — and, to the west, Oklahoma — all have rejected Romney. The upcoming calendar gives him scant reason to be optimistic: Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana all have contests this month.
Sure, Romney won Florida, but that is hardly a Southern state by tradition. And Virginia was a contest between only Romney and Paul — hardly a real choice among rank-and-file Republicans who see the Texas congressman as outside the mainstream of conservative positions.
Can Romney become the GOP nominee if he can't win in the party's only regional stronghold?
OHIO IS WHERE IT'S AT
Step aside, Florida. Ohio remains the ultimate down-to-the-wire presidential state.
Ohio is a microcosm of the country. It has urban centers and sprawling farms. It has diversity in both race and income. It has conservative strongholds in the southwest corner, where Sen. Rob Portman rallied his neighbors to deliver votes for Romney. It has liberal bastions in the northeast, near Cleveland, where moderates sometimes defect to Republicans. Its eastern and southern edges are Appalachia and tend to be filled with more swing voters.
In the end, Romney won the state that no Republican has ever lost on a successful White House run.
PAUL A NONFACTOR
Another primary night went by without Paul winning a primary. Sure, he picked up delegates and he increased the chances he will have a say in deciding the party's platform come the convention in Tampa. But he isn't posting the wins he needs if he's going to be the late-surging nominee.
Romney offered faint praise to Paul "for his steadfast commitment to our Constitution and his strong support almost everywhere you go. He's got good followers."
Just not enough so far, it seems.
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- 1 child dead in Idaho elementary school bus...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 92
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 49
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 19