NHL: Jack Johnson, Steve Mason lead Blue Jackets past Coyotes 3-2
"Everybody on the ice, all 15 guys on the ice — except for one — saw (it)," he said. "Nobody's trying to make mistakes out there. You just wish that once it's pointed out that it's corrected."
Keith Yandle scored to narrow the gap to a goal again, but Mason and his defense were stout in the scoreless third period.
The Coyotes had 20 seconds of 5 on 3 and a lengthy 4 on 3 as the Blue Jackets killed all five penalties.
"Your goalie has to be your best penalty killer and he sure was tonight," Johnson said of Mason. "We were just trying to keep the shots to the outside and he did the rest. He made some spectacular saves to win us the game. He came up big."
Oliver Ekman-Larsson was stymied on a hard shot gloved by Mason while the Coyotes were short-handed with 7:35 left. Phoenix's Radim Vrbata's chest-high shot stunned Mason in the final seconds, but Columbus defenseman James Wisniewski cleared the puck from the crease.
Mason also made big saves on Doan and Ray Whitney early in the final period.
Nothing is going right for the Coyotes, though.
"We talked about a few things not going our way right now," Tippett said. "We have to keep our head above water. We've got to get back at it and find a way to get a win."
NOTES: Johnson's goal made him the 30th player to score for the Blue Jackets this season, adding to a franchise record and the most in the NHL this season. ... Phoenix returns home for a pivotal homestand against Minnesota, San Jose and Nashville, all of them also hungry for points. ... D Nikita Nikitin blocked a shot with his foot, played another shift or two, but then did not return for the third period. He had goals in the previous two games for Columbus.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 35
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20