Michelle King: Celebrating 170 years of the LDS Church's Relief Society on Mormon Times TV
March is the month that we celebrate 170 years of Relief Society — the LDS Church's auxiliary for women — which is the largest women's organization in the world. Its purpose is to help members ages 18 and older increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes and seek out and help those in need.
Anyone who's been a part of it knows Relief Society is a safe haven where love, service and sisterhood abound; where charity means much more than just delivering a meal or a loaf of bread — it's a way of life.
The hymn "As Sisters in Zion" has become almost like a Relief Society anthem to the millions worldwide who sing it. But that only happened after an important discovery was made in the church archives.
This Sunday on the March 11 installment of Mormon Times TV, you'll find out how the hymn came to be after it was penned 100 years ago and how a pioneer's relative is bringing us the story behind the song.
"I can do hard things" could easily be the motto of Becca Goeckeritz. She's gifted, cheerful and a marathoner and does it all without the use of her legs. Her inspiring story proves that you can still achieve your goals and be happy even when you have to push through the difficult things in life.
Plus, a family who's experienced the deepest heartache turns their loss into an amazing annual tradition. You'll see how a local mom is reaching out to remember her baby through sharing a comforting gift with other mothers.
And it's about as far away from Utah as you can get — beautiful Sydney, Australia. We'll see what it's like to be a church member there, as we continue our Skype chats with those of the LDS faith living in faraway places.
The "Mormon Times" television show airs Sunday mornings at 10 on KSL-TV following the Mormon Tabernacle Choir broadcast. It can also be viewed online at mormontimestv.ksl.com, where you can see past episodes. And we invite you to follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/MormonTimesTV and join in the conversation.
We're always looking for inspiring, uplifting stories that involve people of the LDS faith. If you have some ideas you'd like to share with us, drop me an email at email@example.com.
Michelle King is the host of "Mormon Times TV," which airs Sundays at 10 a.m. on KSL. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- BYU-Idaho students form brotherhood of...
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 140
- Religious groups react to Boy... 77
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 21
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 7