Julie Jacobson, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Matthew Dellavedova scored 22 points to lead Saint Mary's to a 78-74 victory against No. 24 Gonzaga on Monday night to claim its second West Coast Conference tournament title and automatic NCAA bid in three years.
It was the first time the Gaels (27-5) have won the regular-season title outright and claimed the tourney championship the same year.
Elias Harris led Gonzaga (25-6) with 22 points, including a 3-pointer with 2 seconds left in regulation to force the extra period.
Dellavedova had a chance to win it at the buzzer in regulation but his runner bounced off the rim. He made sure to seal it at the free throw line in OT.
Gonzaga's Kevin Pangos had a miserable night, finishing with seven points on 3-of-18 shooting. He was just 1 of 10 from 3-point range, two days after a 30-point night against Brigham Young.
Rob Jones added 18 points and nine rebounds for the Gaels.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Utah State's Evans has been on a 'long journey'
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24