Julie Jacobson, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Matthew Dellavedova scored 22 points to lead Saint Mary's to a 78-74 victory against No. 24 Gonzaga on Monday night to claim its second West Coast Conference tournament title and automatic NCAA bid in three years.
It was the first time the Gaels (27-5) have won the regular-season title outright and claimed the tourney championship the same year.
Elias Harris led Gonzaga (25-6) with 22 points, including a 3-pointer with 2 seconds left in regulation to force the extra period.
Dellavedova had a chance to win it at the buzzer in regulation but his runner bounced off the rim. He made sure to seal it at the free throw line in OT.
Gonzaga's Kevin Pangos had a miserable night, finishing with seven points on 3-of-18 shooting. He was just 1 of 10 from 3-point range, two days after a 30-point night against Brigham Young.
Rob Jones added 18 points and nine rebounds for the Gaels.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33