Evan Vucci, Associated Press
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is calling for eliminating the government of Iran if it blocks passage through a key oil route in the Mideast.
Campaigning in Tennessee ahead of Tuesday's GOP primary, the former House speaker said the U.S. should declare war if Iran attempts to close the Straits of Hormuz, through which 20 percent of the world's oil exports pass.
Gingrich says that the U.S. should send the message that any threat to close the Straits of Hormuz would be considered an act of war and that the U.S. will eliminate the government of Iran.
President Barack Obama said Monday that the United States would strike Iran in order to prevent the nation from acquiring nuclear weapons but condemned what he labeled "loose talk of war."
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back waterboarding
- Suicide vest found in Paris raises possible...
- They put the giving in Thanksgiving
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene
- Tunisian president declares state of...
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 37
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 37
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 25
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Rep. Mia Love endorses Marco Rubio for... 22
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 13