FULLERTON, Calif. — After carrying a 2-1 lead into the fifth, Utah Valley University saw No. 20 Cal State Fullerton use the middle innings to pull away and win, 11-3, completing a three-game series sweep.
After Carlos Lopez' two-out base hit scored Michael Lorenzen to put the Titans (8-3) up 1-0 early, the Wolverines (2-8) came back with two in the top of the fourth to take a lead.
With runners at second and third with one down in the fourth, the Wolverines caught a break when Lopez tried to catch Alex Exon off of second after a flyball out. Lopez' throw got away, allowing Kai Hatch to score the first run for UVU.
Riley White and Jake Rickenbach then had consecutive two-out base hits to right – with Rickenbach's scoring Alex Exon – to give the Wolverines a 2-1 lead.
Cal State Fullerton came back in the fifth with a pair of runs to regain the lead before a five-run sixth and three more in the seventh put the game away.
The Titans took advantage of free passes early before their bats came alive late. The first four runs the Titans scored on the day all reached via walk or hit by pitch. Seven different CSF players drove in runs on the day.
Billy Burgess, Goose Kallunki and Kai Hatch led UVU with two hits apiece while Lopez went 3-for-3 with two RBIs for Cal State Fullerton. Keegan Dale also had three hits and Matt Chapman scored three times for the Titans, who have now won seven straight.
J.D. Davis got the win for Cal State Fullerton to improve to 2-0 while Blake Krahenbuhl suffered the loss and dropped to 1-2.
The Wolverines will now play an in-state series at Southern Utah beginning Thursday before a doubleheader on Friday.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13