SUU starter Danielle Axe earned the victory for the Thunderbirds in the circle to push her record to 3-2 on the year after 5.0 innings where she allowed one earned run on eight hits with no walks and two strikeouts. Ostler finished her day throwing the final two innings for SUU, allowing one earned run on two hits with no walks and one strikeout.
Five Thunderbirds recorded multiple hits, including Tessa Loewen, Mikkel Griffin, Bryant, Dyer and Olinger each tallying two hits in the game. Resley was a perfect 1-for-1 with two runs, two RBI and two walks.
Southern Utah will return to Cedar City for its next series when the Thunderbirds open Summit League play hosting Oakland University at Kathryn Berg field next weekend. The teams will play a doubleheader on Friday, beginning at Noon with a single game set for Saturday at Noon. Fans unable to attend the games can watch live stats anticipated to be available online at www.suutbirds.com.
OGDEN, Utah — Weber State won its third-straight match, and improved to 2-1 in Big Sky Conference play, with a 7-0 sweep of Northern Colorado on Sunday at the Ogden Athletic Club.
The Wildcats took all three doubles matches for the opening point, highlighted by Simon Unger and Oliver Good defeating Brandon Lupo and Ben Gendron 8-3 at No. 1 for their fourth-straight win and seventh win in eight matches on the season.
In singles play, Good cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win to put WSU ahead 2-0 on the day. He was soon followed by Ryan Garner and Simon Unger with straight-set wins. Garner defeated Jordan Loughnan 6-3, 6-3, and Unger downed Lupo 6-4, 6-3.
Caio Poitena got past Michael Moya 7-5, 6-4, while Peter Ramstromer Pello and Dave Hintze each won in three sets to complete the sweep. Ramstromer Pello dropped his first set 6-2, but rallied with a 6-4 win in set two and a 10-6 win in a tiebreak third set over Ben Gendron. Hintze dominated Jeff Carlson 6-1 in their opening set, but Carlson bounced back to force a deciding set with a 6-4 win in set two. Hintze finished off the win with a 10-6 tiebbreak third.
Weber State improved to 4-5 overall, while the Bears dropped to 2-5 overall and 1-4 in league play.
Northern Colorado vs Weber State
Mar 04, 2012 at Ogden, UT
(Ogden Athletic Club)
Weber State 7, Northern Colorado 0
1. UNGER, Simon (WSU) def. LUPO, Brandon (NC) 6-4, 6-3
2. GOOD, Oliver (WSU) def. LANE, Ryan (NC) 6-1, 6-1
3. RAMSTROMER PELLO, P. (WSU) def. GENDRON, Ben (NC) 2-6, 6-4, 10-6
4. HINTZE, Dave (WSU) def. CARLSON, Jeff (NC) 6-1, 4-6, 10-3
5. POITENA, Caio (WSU) def. MOYA, Michael (NC) 7-5, 6-4
6. GARNER, Ryan (WSU) def. LOUGHNAN, Jordan (NC) 6-3, 6-3
1. UNGER, Simon
GOOD, Oliver (WSU) def. LUPO, Brandon/GENDRON, Ben (NC) 8-3
2. RAMSTROMER PELLO, P.
POITENA, Caio (WSU) def. LOUGHNAN, Jordan/LANE, Ryan (NC) 8-5
3. HINTZE, Dave
GARNER, Ryan (WSU) def. CARLSON, Jeff/MOYA, Michael (NC) 8-5
Northern Colorado 2-5; 1-4 BSC
Weber State 4-5; 2-1 BSC
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 97
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 25