Moving over to singles action, the Aggies maintained the success with five-straight set wins. West started things off with a win over Alexandra Farrar, (6-1, 6-3), while Davis defeated Schwab (6-2, 6-1). Voytsekovich fought through some tough calls to take down Newman, (6-4, 6-3), while Nedakovic earned a quick win over Weissman (6-3, 6-4). Rowland (Harris) took down Lucas (6-3, 6-4). Senior Julie Tukuafu took the only loss for the team, falling to Wurden in a super tiebreaker, (6-1, 6-7, 2-10).
Saturday's match was the first in a five-match homestand for the Aggies. Action will continue Saturday, March 10, as the team hosts the University of Montana at 9:30 a.m. (MT).
Utah State 6, Seattle 1
1. Jaci West (USU) def. Alexandra Farrar (SU) 6-1, 6-3
2. McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Katrina Schwab (SU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kristina Voytsekovich (USU) def. Lindsey Newman (SU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Romina Nedakovic (USU) def. Gabriella Weissman (SU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Brianna Rowland (Harris)(USU) def. Sarah Lucas (SU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Corinne Wurden (SU) def. Julie Tukuafu (USU) 6-1, 6-7, (10-2)
1. Jaci West/McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Katrina Schwab/Corinne Wurden (SU) 8-0
2. Kristina Voytsekovich/Romina Nedakovic (USU) def. Anna Lambert/Lindsey Newman (SU) 8-3
3. Kimberly Watts/Brianna Rowland (Harris) (USU) def. Gabriella Weissman/Sarah Lucas (SU) 8-6
MEN'S TENNIS: At Logan, the Aggies pulled off a 5-2 win over future Western Athletic Conference foe, Seattle, Saturday at the Logan Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
The men took advantage of the long roadtrip the Redhawks have been on, with all but one match ending in straight sets.
Starting with doubles action, junior Sven Poslusny and freshman Marcus Fritz took down Seattle's Mark Shkrebtan and Simon Meske, (8-3). In the No. 2 position were senior Nate Ballam and freshman Matt Sweet, who fought hard, but fell to Kevin Lynch and Jason Bediones (9-8, [7-1]). Sophomore Andrew Whiting and his older brother, junior Lenny Whiting, secured the doubles point for the Aggies, beating Tom Plunkett and Yusuke Kanehira, (9-7).
Switching over to singles action, Poslusny led the way from the No. 1 position, beating Shkrebtan in a quick two sets, (6-3, 6-2). Fritz followed, defeating Meske, (6-3, 6-4), while Sweet took down Lynch, (6-2, 6-2). Sophomore Frederik Peterson held on tight to Malagutti, beating him (7-5, 7-6). The fifth and sixth positions proved to be the tough spots for the Aggies, with Lenny Whiting falling to Kyle Rapp, (6-4, 6-7, 9-11). Ballam brought the match to a close with a loss to Bediones, (6-4, 6-4).
After the Aggies' last six matches have been held at home, it is time to hit the road once again. They will continue action from Las Vegas next weekend, where they will play in two matches. USU will play UNLV on Friday, March 9 at 11 a.m. (MT), then continue Saturday to play Northern Arizona, also at 11 a.m.
Utah State 5, Seattle 2
1. Sven Poslusny (USU) def. Mark Shkrebtan (SU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Marcus Fritz (USU) def. Simon Meske (SU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Matt Sweet (USU) def. Kevin Lynch (SU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Frederik Peterson (USU) def. Flavio Malagutti (SU) 7-5, 7-6
5. Kyle Rapp (SU) def. Lenny Whiting (USU) 4-6, 6-7 (9-11)
6. Jason Bediones (SU) def. Nate Ballam (USU) 6-4, 6-4
1. Sven Poslusny/Marcus Fritz (USU) def. Mark Shkrebtan/Simon Meske (SU) 8-3
2. Kevin Lynch/Jason Bediones (SU) def. Nate Ballam/Matt Sweet (USU) 9-8
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25