TUCSON, Ariz — Real Salt Lake ended its participation in the first-annual FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup in the same fashion it started 12 days prior, with a 1-0 victory over the New York Red Bulls, in the tournament's consolation game on Saturday night.
Chris Wingert's laser from distance midway through the first half stood as the game's lone tally, allowing RSL to finish its 2012 preseason on a winning note
"You want to finish the preseason with a win and we did that, so now we've got a little bit of a positive feeling going into the season," said RSL coach Jason Kreis.
With nothing much doing in the opening half, it was Wingert's unexpected goal in the 28th minute that breathed life into the contest. After receiving a quick square ball from Ned Grabavoy 30 yards from goal, Wingert cut back, and with plenty of space, unleashed a right-footed blast that caught Red Bulls goalkeeper Jeremy Vuolo off guard.
The rest of the half belonged to RSL netminder Nick Rimando, who stopped a 20-yard blast by New York's Kenny Cooper in the 32nd minute and his breakaway attempt four minutes later to keep the Red Bulls off the board.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27