Gang behind ballot push awaits its candidates
Americans elect wants a middle-of-the-road ticket for president
Any eligible voter with Internet access must be permitted to take part, inviting possible mischief. Already, there's been a flood of "drafted" candidates from the serious to the devious and everything in between.
Obama and GOP candidates Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum are among the scores of options. So are New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, business mogul Donald Trump, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Perot. Then there are the likes of conservative commentator Glenn Beck, liberal filmmaker Michael Moore, radio shock jock Howard Stern and talk show host Oprah Winfrey.
David Walker, who served as U.S. comptroller general during Democratic and Republican administrations, is on the draft list, too. Walker has toured the country warning of dire fiscal conditions on the horizon for America, sometimes sounding every bit a candidate. Just don't expect Walker to actually run.
"There's absolutely no question that I want to conduct an issue campaign in 2012 and to try to accomplish some of the same things Ross Perot did 20 years ago but without running for president," Walker said in an interview. "I believe that can be done in today's age."
Declared candidates or draft efforts must show a minimum level of support measured through Internet clicks and after three online primaries, the top six candidates advance to a final round. The nominee will be selected in a cyberspace convention that will wrap up by June 26.
Americans Elect: www.americanselect.org
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 14