Rich Schultz, Associated Press
PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Dane Miller grabbed a rebound and scored on a one-handed slam dunk with 11.2 seconds to play to give Rutgers a 61-58 victory over St. John's in the final game of the Big East Conference regular season on Saturday night.
The victory gave Rutgers (14-17, 6-12) the 11th seed in the conference tournament. The Scarlet Knights will play No. 14 seed Villanova in the first round Tuesday. St. John's (13-18, 6-12) will be the No. 12 seed and will face No. 13 Pittsburgh.
D'Angelo Harrison, who led St. John's with 17 points, had two attempts to tie the game. He missed a go-ahead 3-pointer with about 4 seconds to play.
Eli Carter was fouled after the rebound and made both ends of a 1-and-1 to push the lead to three points.
Harrison's halfcourt 3-pointer at the buzzer looked good all the way until it bounced off the rim.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Halford helps key BYU's late-season run,...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 67
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 40
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29