Rich Schultz, Associated Press
PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Dane Miller grabbed a rebound and scored on a one-handed slam dunk with 11.2 seconds to play to give Rutgers a 61-58 victory over St. John's in the final game of the Big East Conference regular season on Saturday night.
The victory gave Rutgers (14-17, 6-12) the 11th seed in the conference tournament. The Scarlet Knights will play No. 14 seed Villanova in the first round Tuesday. St. John's (13-18, 6-12) will be the No. 12 seed and will face No. 13 Pittsburgh.
D'Angelo Harrison, who led St. John's with 17 points, had two attempts to tie the game. He missed a go-ahead 3-pointer with about 4 seconds to play.
Eli Carter was fouled after the rebound and made both ends of a 1-and-1 to push the lead to three points.
Harrison's halfcourt 3-pointer at the buzzer looked good all the way until it bounced off the rim.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 132
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 37
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21