Rich Schultz, Associated Press
PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Dane Miller grabbed a rebound and scored on a one-handed slam dunk with 11.2 seconds to play to give Rutgers a 61-58 victory over St. John's in the final game of the Big East Conference regular season on Saturday night.
The victory gave Rutgers (14-17, 6-12) the 11th seed in the conference tournament. The Scarlet Knights will play No. 14 seed Villanova in the first round Tuesday. St. John's (13-18, 6-12) will be the No. 12 seed and will face No. 13 Pittsburgh.
D'Angelo Harrison, who led St. John's with 17 points, had two attempts to tie the game. He missed a go-ahead 3-pointer with about 4 seconds to play.
Eli Carter was fouled after the rebound and made both ends of a 1-and-1 to push the lead to three points.
Harrison's halfcourt 3-pointer at the buzzer looked good all the way until it bounced off the rim.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 33
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21