Rich Schultz, Associated Press
PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Dane Miller grabbed a rebound and scored on a one-handed slam dunk with 11.2 seconds to play to give Rutgers a 61-58 victory over St. John's in the final game of the Big East Conference regular season on Saturday night.
The victory gave Rutgers (14-17, 6-12) the 11th seed in the conference tournament. The Scarlet Knights will play No. 14 seed Villanova in the first round Tuesday. St. John's (13-18, 6-12) will be the No. 12 seed and will face No. 13 Pittsburgh.
D'Angelo Harrison, who led St. John's with 17 points, had two attempts to tie the game. He missed a go-ahead 3-pointer with about 4 seconds to play.
Eli Carter was fouled after the rebound and made both ends of a 1-and-1 to push the lead to three points.
Harrison's halfcourt 3-pointer at the buzzer looked good all the way until it bounced off the rim.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26