LOGAN — As the madness of March quickly approaches in college basketball, there is something to be said about peaking at the right time. Utah State (16-14, 7-6) may be doing just that and saving its best play for last.
The Aggies have put together back-to-back wins for just the third time this season and will look to run the streak to three in a row for the first time since Christmas when they play on the islands at Hawaii (15-14, 6-7) on Saturday night.
The secret to the Aggies recent success is guard Preston Medlin raising his level of play over the last week. Medlin was already Utah State's best and most consistent player, but the sophomore has carried the team to wins over Idaho and at San Jose State with two of his best career games, scoring a combined 58 points in his last two outings. Not only is Medlin growing with his play, he's looking to become a better leader as well.
"Preston is hard to guard because he can shoot it and he can go by you, he can pass it," head coach Stew Morrill said. "He just presents a lot of problems. I've asked him to try and give us more leadership and when you're a sophomore and you have seniors, sometimes that is a little difficult, but I think he understands. I'm asking that for the remainder of this year, but I am also trying to get him to understand how much leadership he is going to have to carry as a junior and senior."
Besides trying to head into next week's WAC tournament with momentum, the Aggies can also solidify their finish in the top half of the WAC standings.
With a win against Hawaii the Aggies are guaranteed to finish at least fourth place and can finish as high as tied for third should Idaho falter against San Jose State, a previously unthinkable result for a team that sputtered throughout conference play.
Aggies on the air
Utah State (16-14, 7-6)
at Hawaii (15-14, 6-7)
Saturday March 3rd, 10 p.m.
Special Events Arena
Radio: 1280 AM
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28