Campus briefs for SLCC, Weber State, Westminister, Utah Utes, Utah Valley, and Dixie State
In the first game of the day, the Lancer squad jumped out early and chased Red Storm starter sophomore Mattie Snow (Tooele High School). Snow allowed five runs on five hits and walked three in just two innings of work.
DSC pitchers allowed 11 hits in the game and just could not overcome Lancer starter Emma Holden.
Hine added two more hits in the first game to finish with five on the day. Brown led with three hits and had an RBI. Chavez tripled into right center in the fourth inning and picked up 2 RBI.
DSC improved to 6-3 overall and 1-1 in PWC play and CBU dropped to 14-3 overall and 2-2 in PWC play.
The two teams play a doubleheader again tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. at Karl Brooks Field.
FULLERTON, Calif.— No. 20 Cal State Fullerton took the opener of a three-game series over Utah Valley University, 6-1, on Friday night at Goodwin Field.
Goose Kallunki had two of the Wolverines' (2-6) five hits and Austin Heaps had a double and scored a run. Ivory Thomas led Cal State Fullerton with three hits including a double.
The Titans (6-3) rode the arm of Dylan Floro for eight innings. The junior righthander allowed just one run on five hits and struck out five in eight complete to get the win.
"It's a big game. If you're going to win big games you've got to make big plays and you've got to hit in big situations," UVU head coach Eric Madsen said.
After three scoreless innings, Utah Valley broke through first in the top of the fourth. Heaps doubled down the line in left, moved to third on a base hit from Kallunki and then scored on a wild pitch, giving UVU a 1-0 lead.
Fullerton answered with a run in the bottom half of the inning after Thomas doubled and scored on a base hit by Casey Watkins.
Wolverine starter Jeremy Gendlek, who escaped a bases-loaded jam in the second, limited Fullerton to just the one run in the fourth but was chased in the fifth when Thomas again ignited a rally with a single that scored Richy Pedroza.
After Josh Swenson entered for Gendlek, Watkins delivered an RBI single to give the Titans a 3-1 lead. Cal State Fullerton pulled away with a three-run seventh with Matt Orloff's two-run, infield single highlighting the frame.
Gendlek (0-3) took the loss for Utah Valley in 4.1 innings of work. He allowed three runs on five hits and struck out a pair. Ryan Chadwick pitched in relief and retired all four hitters he faced for the Wolverines. For the Titans, Dimitri DeLaFuente threw a 1-2-3 ninth to finish the game.
The series continues on Saturday from Goodwin Field with first pitch set for 8 p.m. MT with the game live on 960 AM the Zone. Great West Conference Pitcher of the Week Adam Gunn is the scheduled starter for UVU.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Doug Robinson: The one position the Utes...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Purdue's pair of 7-footers draw plenty of...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 28