BYU basketball notebook: Brock Zylstra's fast start got Cougars rolling
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Zylstra, starting in place of an injured Noah Hartsock, jump started the Cougars, scoring their first seven points and 10 in the first half, to stake BYU to an early lead.
In the end, BYU defeated San Diego, 73-68, in the West Coast Conference quarterfinals.
Hartsock ended up with a game-high 19 points while Zylstra had 12.
TRENDS: Over the past decade, every No. 3 seed has advanced to the semifinals of the WCC Tournament. With the Cougars' victory Friday, the No. 3 seed is now 10-0.
The bad news for BYU?
The No. 3 seed is just 1-8 in the semifinals during that span.
BYU AT THE ORLEANS: The Cougars are now 4-1 all-time at the Orleans Arena. In November 2007, BYU played a pair of top 10 teams here in the Las Vegas Invitational. BYU defeated No. 6 Louisville, 78-76, then fell to No. 1 North Carolina, 73-63. In 2009, the Cougars defeated Nevada, 110-104, then whipped Nebraska, 88-66, in the Las Vegas Classic.
NOTES: Former BYU star and Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge was in attendance Friday. … Friday's game was scheduled to tip off at 9 p.m. MST, but it didn't start until 9:48, 30 minutes after the conclusion of the other quarterfinal game, San Francisco's win over Loyola Marymount.
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 53
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 42
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35