BYU basketball notebook: Brock Zylstra's fast start got Cougars rolling
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
In the end, BYU defeated San Diego, 73-68, in the West Coast Conference quarterfinals.
Hartsock ended up with a game-high 19 points while Zylstra had 12.
TRENDS: Over the past decade, every No. 3 seed has advanced to the semifinals of the WCC Tournament. With the Cougars' victory Friday, the No. 3 seed is now 10-0.
The bad news for BYU?
The No. 3 seed is just 1-8 in the semifinals during that span.
BYU AT THE ORLEANS: The Cougars are now 4-1 all-time at the Orleans Arena. In November 2007, BYU played a pair of top 10 teams here in the Las Vegas Invitational. BYU defeated No. 6 Louisville, 78-76, then fell to No. 1 North Carolina, 73-63. In 2009, the Cougars defeated Nevada, 110-104, then whipped Nebraska, 88-66, in the Las Vegas Classic.
NOTES: Former BYU star and Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge was in attendance Friday. … Friday's game was scheduled to tip off at 9 p.m. MST, but it didn't start until 9:48, 30 minutes after the conclusion of the other quarterfinal game, San Francisco's win over Loyola Marymount.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32