GRAND FORKS, N.D. — Already assured of its second straight Great West Conference regular season title, Utah Valley University wraps up the regular season at North Dakota Saturday.
The Wolverines' (20-10, 9-0) bid for an unbeaten conference season and for their 14th straight win comes against the Fighting Sioux (14-14, 5-4), a team that is undefeated at home in GWC action, including two wins over the weekend against Houston Baptist and Texas-Pan American.
"North Dakota played terrific basketball at home against the Texas schools. They really shot the ball well and gained a lot of confidence," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "It's Senior Night there, the last home game of the season, and we know we have a very stiff challenge ahead of us."
Utah Valley's current 13-game, school-record win streak ranks as the third-longest current streak in the nation while the 20-win season in the program's first since 2006-07, a year the Wolverines went 22-7.
A home win last Thursday over Houston Baptist, 75-56, helped UVU clinch at least a share of the conference title before a 74-64 win over Texas-Pan American two days later crowned the Wolverines outright as the conference's first two-time and back-to-back champions.
Against UTPA, Isiah Williams scored 28 and Geddes Robinson scored 15 points and hauled in 16 boards. Williams was named the GWC Player of the Week after averaging 21.5 points in the two victories.
After Saturday's game, UVU will prep for the GWC Tournament where the Wolverines will advance to the semifinals on Friday at noon CT and face the winner of the No. 4 vs. No. 5-seeded game.
Wolverines on the air
Utah Valley (20-10, 9-0)
at N. Dakota (14-14, 5-4)
Saturday, March 3rd, 1 p.m.
Radio: 960 AM
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 67
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 42
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 17
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14