GRAND FORKS, N.D. — Already assured of its second straight Great West Conference regular season title, Utah Valley University wraps up the regular season at North Dakota Saturday.
The Wolverines' (20-10, 9-0) bid for an unbeaten conference season and for their 14th straight win comes against the Fighting Sioux (14-14, 5-4), a team that is undefeated at home in GWC action, including two wins over the weekend against Houston Baptist and Texas-Pan American.
"North Dakota played terrific basketball at home against the Texas schools. They really shot the ball well and gained a lot of confidence," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "It's Senior Night there, the last home game of the season, and we know we have a very stiff challenge ahead of us."
Utah Valley's current 13-game, school-record win streak ranks as the third-longest current streak in the nation while the 20-win season in the program's first since 2006-07, a year the Wolverines went 22-7.
A home win last Thursday over Houston Baptist, 75-56, helped UVU clinch at least a share of the conference title before a 74-64 win over Texas-Pan American two days later crowned the Wolverines outright as the conference's first two-time and back-to-back champions.
Against UTPA, Isiah Williams scored 28 and Geddes Robinson scored 15 points and hauled in 16 boards. Williams was named the GWC Player of the Week after averaging 21.5 points in the two victories.
After Saturday's game, UVU will prep for the GWC Tournament where the Wolverines will advance to the semifinals on Friday at noon CT and face the winner of the No. 4 vs. No. 5-seeded game.
Wolverines on the air
Utah Valley (20-10, 9-0)
at N. Dakota (14-14, 5-4)
Saturday, March 3rd, 1 p.m.
Radio: 960 AM
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 32
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18