CORVALLIS, Ore. — Utah didn't leave Gill Coliseum completely empty handed Thursday night.
They did clinch something at Oregon State — the No. 11 seed in next week's Pac-12 Tournament at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. While their sixth-seeded opponent (most likely UCLA or Stanford) is yet to be determined, the Utes will play next Wednesday at 9:30 p.m.
Utah's loss to the Beavers and USC's setback to Washington assured how the bottom teams will be seeded.
"It what it is," said junior guard Chris Hines. " Hopefully we can get the win Saturday (at Oregon) and have some momentum going in."
HALL OF FAMER: Former NBA all-star A.C. Green was honored at halftime. The Oregon State product will be inducted into the Pac-12 Hall of Honor at next week's Pac-12 Tournament in Los Angeles. All 12 teams in the conference will have a representative recognized. Arnie Ferrin will be Utah's honoree.
SPECIAL LOOK: Oregon State paid tribute to "Nike N7," the manufacturer's program to provide grants to Native American and Aboriginal non-profit organizations, by wearing turquoise uniforms and special shoes designed in collaboration with artist Bunky Echo-Hawk.
The Beavers, who have been involved with N7 for the past two years, also wore the gear in their season opener against Cal State Bakersfield. The turquoise color, which replaced OSU's traditional black and orange motif in the game, symbolizes friendship and community in Native American culture.
"This year, in conjunction with our N7 initiative, we wanted to include a Pac-12 game," Oregon State coach Craig Robinson said in a released statement. "This initiative is important to me, the team and this program."
The N7 Fund, which benefits youth through sports, has generated more than $1 million since 2009.
FAST BREAKS: The attendance was 3,643 . . . Farr had nine rebounds and three assists for Utah . . . Kareem Storey had five assists . . . Cunningham had two steals for Oregon State, extending his streak of games with at least one to 29 games.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 84
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 68
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 57
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 21