ONTARIO, Calif. — The Ontario Reign defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-2 Wednesday night in a game where the Grizz played well.
"I know it sounds crazy, but besides a few mistakes, that's the best we've played in months and it's a step in the right direction," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley.
Utah outshot Ontario 12-5 in the second period and 24-14 in the final two periods as they controlled the Ontario end in the final 40 minutes, but was unable to escape five goals given up in transition on the evening.
Ontario built a 1-0 lead three minutes into the first period, but the Grizzlies answered just 9 seconds later off of the ensuing face-off. Paul McIlveen fed Logan MacMillan in the circle for his ninth of the year and the game was quickly even. The Reign made it 2-1 at the halfway point of the frame on an Everett Sheen shot.
The Reign scored two goals in 1:39 in the first 4:36 of the second period to build a 4-1 lead after Utah controlled the Ontario end to start the period with some good scoring chances. They again scored 1:57 into the third period to make it 5-1.
Colin Vock made it 5-2 with 5:58 left in regulation on a breakaway goal for his seventh of the year as Cody Lampl fed him up ice.
Utah and the Reign continue their weekend series Friday at 8:05 p.m. and Saturday at 7:05 p.m. from California.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24