ONTARIO, Calif. — The Ontario Reign defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-2 Wednesday night in a game where the Grizz played well.
"I know it sounds crazy, but besides a few mistakes, that's the best we've played in months and it's a step in the right direction," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley.
Utah outshot Ontario 12-5 in the second period and 24-14 in the final two periods as they controlled the Ontario end in the final 40 minutes, but was unable to escape five goals given up in transition on the evening.
Ontario built a 1-0 lead three minutes into the first period, but the Grizzlies answered just 9 seconds later off of the ensuing face-off. Paul McIlveen fed Logan MacMillan in the circle for his ninth of the year and the game was quickly even. The Reign made it 2-1 at the halfway point of the frame on an Everett Sheen shot.
The Reign scored two goals in 1:39 in the first 4:36 of the second period to build a 4-1 lead after Utah controlled the Ontario end to start the period with some good scoring chances. They again scored 1:57 into the third period to make it 5-1.
Colin Vock made it 5-2 with 5:58 left in regulation on a breakaway goal for his seventh of the year as Cody Lampl fed him up ice.
Utah and the Reign continue their weekend series Friday at 8:05 p.m. and Saturday at 7:05 p.m. from California.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25