ONTARIO, Calif. — The Ontario Reign defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-2 Wednesday night in a game where the Grizz played well.
"I know it sounds crazy, but besides a few mistakes, that's the best we've played in months and it's a step in the right direction," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley.
Utah outshot Ontario 12-5 in the second period and 24-14 in the final two periods as they controlled the Ontario end in the final 40 minutes, but was unable to escape five goals given up in transition on the evening.
Ontario built a 1-0 lead three minutes into the first period, but the Grizzlies answered just 9 seconds later off of the ensuing face-off. Paul McIlveen fed Logan MacMillan in the circle for his ninth of the year and the game was quickly even. The Reign made it 2-1 at the halfway point of the frame on an Everett Sheen shot.
The Reign scored two goals in 1:39 in the first 4:36 of the second period to build a 4-1 lead after Utah controlled the Ontario end to start the period with some good scoring chances. They again scored 1:57 into the third period to make it 5-1.
Colin Vock made it 5-2 with 5:58 left in regulation on a breakaway goal for his seventh of the year as Cody Lampl fed him up ice.
Utah and the Reign continue their weekend series Friday at 8:05 p.m. and Saturday at 7:05 p.m. from California.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Jazz forward Trevor Booker assists Utah...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 45
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 33
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30