Freshman Sheldon McClellan's 24 leads Texas over Oklahoma, 72-64
Michael Thomas, Associated Press
AUSTIN, Texas — Freshman Sheldon McClellan scored a career-high 24 points and Texas rallied to a 72-64 win over Oklahoma on Wednesday night, avoiding what could have been a devastating blow to the Longhorns' NCAA tournament hopes.
McClellan's 3-pointer gave Texas (19-11, 9-8) its first lead, 59-58, with about six minutes left. He had a dunk in an 8-0 Texas burst in the final three minutes that opened a comfortable lead.
The win guarantees Texas will finish at least .500 in the Big 12, a critical mark for a team hoping to make its 14th consecutive tournament appearance. Texas closes the regular season Saturday at No. 3 Kansas.
Texas has won six in a row over Oklahoma (14-14, 4-13) and 13 of the last 15 meetings.
Romero Osby led Oklahoma with 14 points.
J'Covan Brown, the Big 12's leading scorer, added 22 points for the Longhorns, who trailed by 12 early but rallied to avoid a bad loss to a Sooners team that ranks near the bottom of the Big 12 under first-year coach Lon Kruger. The Sooners have lost eight of their last nine games.
Oklahoma was in position to snatch a win over Texas if not for McClellan's big game that may have saved Texas' season. The Sooners started the game on a blistering shooting pace, making 10 of their first 15 shots. Oklahoma eventually cooled off, however, and McClellan led the Longhorns' rally.
Texas took the lead after three 3-pointers in a row: two by Brown from the left corner and another by McClellan from the right.
McClellan then missed two consecutive 3-point tries, but a basket by Johnathan Holmes put the Longhorns ahead 64-62. The Sooners missed four shots on their next possession before Brown made a tough, left-handed layup, McClellan dunked and Brown got another basket to push the Texas lead to eight with 1:31 to play.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37