LOGAN — It's the final trip of the regular season for Utah State, and the Aggies have saved the longest for last. The first stop on the journey is to San Jose State (9-19, 1-11) on Thursday night before taking off for the islands to face Hawaii on Saturday night.
Despite being just .500 in league play, the Aggies still have a lot to play for over their final two games. Right now Utah State sits at fifth in the standings, but could finish anywhere between third and sixth place before moving into next week's Western Athletic Conference tournament in Las Vegas.
The Aggies have plenty of momentum to take into the trip after thumping Idaho 67-50 at home last week, but will have to overcome their inability to win on the road.
"We've been a little bit snake-bit," head coach Stew Morrill said. "I've been irritated after close losses and with some of the things we didn't do down the stretch but there has been some bounces that haven't went our way. … We've got to put ourselves in a position to where it is a close game, that is what you try to do on the road. Anybody who thinks that San Jose State has only won one league game so you should just waltz in there and beat them, they don't understand going to San Jose."
San Jose State will have guard Keith Shamburger in the lineup. The sophomore missed the first matchup between the two teams with a back injury. Combined with Eastern Utah transfer James Kinney and Wil Carter the Spartans have a trio of dangerous players for the Aggies to worry about.
"(Shamburger) causes problems," said Morrill. "They're just out there with basically with three guard-guards, they really don't have a bigger three man that they are playing at all. You are matching up with two points and a two-guard. We really had trouble trying to guard them."
Aggies on the air
Utah State (15-14, 6-6) at
San Jose State (9-19, 1-11)
Thursday, 8 p.m. (MT)
The Event Center, San Jose, Calif.
Radio: 610 AM, 97.5 FM
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35