CHARLOTTE, N.C. — NASCAR has fined crew chief Chad Knaus $100,000 and suspended him for six races because Jimmie Johnson's car failed an inspection before the Daytona 500.
NASCAR also suspended car chief Ron Malec for six races.
Johnson was docked 25 points. Because of his 42nd-place finish in the season-opening Daytona 500, Johnson now goes to Phoenix with negative 23 points.
Hendrick Motorsports said it plans to appeal the penalty.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35