CHARLOTTE, N.C. — NASCAR has fined crew chief Chad Knaus $100,000 and suspended him for six races because Jimmie Johnson's car failed an inspection before the Daytona 500.
NASCAR also suspended car chief Ron Malec for six races.
Johnson was docked 25 points. Because of his 42nd-place finish in the season-opening Daytona 500, Johnson now goes to Phoenix with negative 23 points.
Hendrick Motorsports said it plans to appeal the penalty.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Utah Jazz get blown out by Dallas 120-102
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32