CHARLOTTE, N.C. — NASCAR has fined crew chief Chad Knaus $100,000 and suspended him for six races because Jimmie Johnson's car failed an inspection before the Daytona 500.
NASCAR also suspended car chief Ron Malec for six races.
Johnson was docked 25 points. Because of his 42nd-place finish in the season-opening Daytona 500, Johnson now goes to Phoenix with negative 23 points.
Hendrick Motorsports said it plans to appeal the penalty.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 37