CHARLOTTE, N.C. — NASCAR has fined crew chief Chad Knaus $100,000 and suspended him for six races because Jimmie Johnson's car failed an inspection before the Daytona 500.
NASCAR also suspended car chief Ron Malec for six races.
Johnson was docked 25 points. Because of his 42nd-place finish in the season-opening Daytona 500, Johnson now goes to Phoenix with negative 23 points.
Hendrick Motorsports said it plans to appeal the penalty.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 290
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 56
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 42
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37