LONDON — Scott Parker will captain England for the first time on Wednesday against the Netherlands.
The Tottenham midfielder has made only 10 England appearances, but has been handed the captaincy by interim coach Stuart Pearce, who could only be in charge for the exhibition at Wembley Stadium.
The Football Association announced earlier this week that Parker had been voted England's player of the year in a poll of 15,000 fans.
The captaincy carries great weight in England, with Fabio Capello quitting as coach earlier this month after the FA stripped John Terry of the armband.
The injured Terry was stripped because of his upcoming criminal trial for racially abusing an opponent.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43