LONDON — Scott Parker will captain England for the first time on Wednesday against the Netherlands.
The Tottenham midfielder has made only 10 England appearances, but has been handed the captaincy by interim coach Stuart Pearce, who could only be in charge for the exhibition at Wembley Stadium.
The Football Association announced earlier this week that Parker had been voted England's player of the year in a poll of 15,000 fans.
The captaincy carries great weight in England, with Fabio Capello quitting as coach earlier this month after the FA stripped John Terry of the armband.
The injured Terry was stripped because of his upcoming criminal trial for racially abusing an opponent.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 65
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51