LONDON — Scott Parker will captain England for the first time on Wednesday against the Netherlands.
The Tottenham midfielder has made only 10 England appearances, but has been handed the captaincy by interim coach Stuart Pearce, who could only be in charge for the exhibition at Wembley Stadium.
The Football Association announced earlier this week that Parker had been voted England's player of the year in a poll of 15,000 fans.
The captaincy carries great weight in England, with Fabio Capello quitting as coach earlier this month after the FA stripped John Terry of the armband.
The injured Terry was stripped because of his upcoming criminal trial for racially abusing an opponent.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 36
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31