Number of men caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's or dementia more than doubled in last 15 years
All the while, he never stopped seeing her, he said, as the woman he fell in love with: a brilliant doctor, a tennis champion, a loving mother of their three children, a creative artist who filled their home with homemade chandeliers and other elaborate projects.
"This is a person you love," Lerner said. "You're not going to abandon somebody you love after 60 years."
The couple has moved in with their son and his wife in Berwyn, Ill. Ruthie, who is bedridden, fades in and out of consciousness. Hospice caregivers have taken over most of her needs after doctors told the family her days are numbered.
Herbert Lerner fills his time now by watching old Super 8 films of their family. Ruthie in her white bathing suit swimming with the children in Wisconsin. Ruthie walking through the beautiful gardens she used to keep. Ruthie playing guitar.
He doesn't take his eyes off the screen, even though he has seen the film countless times.
"I'm reliving all the wonderful experiences we had," he said. "It feels like it was just yesterday."
Then he walks over to his wife's bed and searches for her face, which is buried in a pillow.
"Ruthie, would you like a kiss?"
The hospice nurse helps him to lower the bed's side railing, so he can plant a peck squarely on her lips.
In a rare moment of lucidity, she responds to her husband.
- Salt Lake veterans hospital to test next...
- 105-year-old woman says bacon is the key to...
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to...
- Deseret News wins awards for education,...
- Suicide up among middle-aged Americans, but why?
- Utah lawmakers look to regulate child access...
- Reactions to abortion murder verdict...
- Health care reform about to 'get real' for...
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12
- Suicide up among middle-aged Americans,... 10
- Utah lawmakers look to regulate child... 8
- Health care reform about to 'get real'... 7
- Reactions to abortion murder verdict... 4
- Utah lawmakers look to regulate child... 3
- Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy: Q&A 2
- Tougher drunken driving threshold... 2